Help Please....13 yr old 148lb Salcata w/ rough shell

Kevn Horton

Location (City and/or State)
Tehachapi, ca
Hello everyone it has been a while ....I Need your advise again
Noticed this yr my Baby looks to have had a lot of growth he is Very active most of the yr. however his shell is Very rough this yr.
wondering if I need to be supplement his diet with something... he eats his yard grass, daily and corn, loves watermelon ( one a week) apples, gourds, lettuce, (all kinds) mustard greens, tomatoes, these are feed to him some of each daily.
would this diet be making shell rough or hurting him in anyway I should know about
see photos

DSCF9682.JPG DSCF9686.JPG DSCF9687.JPG DSCF9688.JPG DSCF9690.JPG DSCF9691.JPG DSCF9693.JPG

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
He just needs a little moisturizing on the new growth. You can massage some cold pressed coconut into the growth seams, allow a few minutes for it to absorb, then polish it off with an absorbent cloth. Don't leave it on the shell because it attracts ants.

Kevn Horton

Tehachapi, ca
He just needs a little moisturizing on the new growth. You can massage some cold pressed coconut into the growth seams, allow a few minutes for it to absorb, then polish it off with an absorbent cloth. Don't leave it on the shell because it attracts ants.

IS THIS FROM LOW HUMID IN CALIF ?
I WILL TRY THIS TONIGHT

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
IS THIS FROM LOW HUMID IN CALIF ?
I WILL TRY THIS TONIGHT
Its not from low humidity. All sulcatas grown here in SoCal get this rough growth. In AZ it is just as dry, but they don't do this. I think it might be because in AZ its so damn hot all day every day, that they spend most of their time underground. Here in Social we have cold nights, even in summer, and our tortoises come out to bask in the sun for hours to warm up every day. I think all that sunshine is drying them out. This is just a guess, based on what I've seen. So maybe it is humidity, in a way...