Help please asap

Mybabybertie

]I have just found this site and I'm so glad I have. I need advice please. Sorry if it is to much detail just want to cover everything. 2 1/2 years ago after much research and advice. I got my cutie Bertie. Then 6 weeks old. I made sure I got him from a tortoise centre and purchased everything I had been advised to and followed all instructions to the letter. To make sure he kept healthy I take him for a check up a couple of times a year at my nature centre. Last one was. Spring 2012. He was great and was 1.27 lb and 13.7cm long. (That's from front to back of shell measured from the side while standing. That was a year and a half ago now.
Since reading on here I am now concerned that his shell is pyramiding. If this is the case please how do I stop it. Also if some one could please tell me if he is female or male if possible.
Details at the moment.
He is 2 1/2 years old
3.6 lb
20cm
Kept in indoors vaverium with correct space and heat. (Double checked on here)
Has sand wood chips and rocks in there as advised at the time.
Is outside most days for 8 months of the year. Too cold all the time I live in the uk. When indoors has the correct uv lamp. Let out every evening indoors to walk about for 40min.
Soaked in warm bath once a week for 20 min (again was advised to)
Fresh water always available.
Feed the correct amount of grasses and meadow herbs.
Dandelion, smooth hawk's beard, nipplewort, chicory, smooth sow thistle, great plantain, hoary plantain, ribwort plantain, common mallow, musk mallow, dwarf mallow, shepherd's purse, hairy bittercress, wavy bittercress, white/Dutch clover, red clover, common vetch, sainfoin, creeping bell-flower, field bindweed, hedge mustard.
He is very active and strong. Like ramming and moving rocks and seems healthy otherwise. Can some 1 please advice me on his shell as pictures will follow I would hate to think I'm damaging him. I say him but can I please be advised on the sex as we'll please. Thank you.View attachment 64103View attachment 64103View attachment 64103View attachment 64103View attachment 64103

Last edited by a moderator:

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hi, and welcome to the Forum!

Lately we have been putting so much emphasis on pyramiding, that I feel we've given out the wrong impression. Yes, it's nice to grow a perfectly smooth tortoise, and we should all strive towards that goal. But is it bad for a tortoise to have bumps on his shell? No. It doesn't harm the tortoise in the least. We're talking pyramiding here, NOT metabolic bone disease.

Your pictures didn't show up, but if your tortoise has a bumpy carapace, there's nothing wrong with that. I have a 110lb sulcata with a bumpy shell. Is he sick? No. Is his life compromised? I doubt it. Does it affect him in any way? No.

So your tortoise may (or may not) be slightly pyramided. Oh Well! Enjoy him for who he is and how he looks, and don't worry about bumps.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Hello and Welcome. Although the bumps don't mean they are sick, I do think we should try to raise them to look like they are suppose too look. Higher humidity, soakings and good diet and exercise. With yours possibly already having some pyramiding, you can get the new growth to start growing in smooth. The threads below in my post will explain how to start a hatchling out to grow smooth, so you have a better understanding what it takes. For one your age, I would provide a nice warm humid hide, weekly warm soaks a couple times, good varied diet, exercise and provide water 24/7. Try photobucket or tiny pics for posting your pics, they didn't show:(

Zamric

10 Year Member!
The Crystal Unicorn
Welcome to the Forum!

No pics showed up but as the last 2 users said, Bumpy Shells DO NOT equal bad! We would however be able to tell more about your set-up with some good pictures! I use "Photobucket" myself and my pics always show up nice and clear. I look foward to seeing your tort and it's home!

Sulcatas ROCK!

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
I'm actually more concerned with his weight and size rather than some pyramiding. At 2 1/2 years old he should be larger and heavier than 3.6 lbs. You're certainly feeding him the right stuff. How often does he eat? Is he free to graze inside his enclosure whenever he wants? How large is his enclosure? When you repost your pics, please include pics of his enclosure and provide details of temps and humidity. What kind of uvb lighting are you using. Is it the coil type?

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Hi and welcome to the forum! :) So glad your here. Sorry we are missing the pictures of your little Bertie. I can't wait til you send them again, so we can see your sweetie. Like Sibi, I worried a bit about the size. There was a phrase you used that had me wondering. You said you: "Feed the correct amount". Could you please define that a bit for us? Does that mean he can eat all he wants? Or is he only given a certain measureable amount each day? I must say, I do like the fact your giving him a nice wide variety of food items. :)

Also could we have a bit more detail on his substrate? You said: "Has sand wood chips and rocks in there as advised at the time." Depending on what exactly you have it could be a not so great thing. :( Like the sand. Mixed in well with other things and in small amounts, it is fine for a healthy animal, but if it is sitting there in a straight sand pile, there could be a fear of a blockage from straight sand digestion. The wood chips, what kind of wood are they? Some types are okay, but others are not. Some also tend to not hold humidity well and you might be better off with a change there. Are the rocks like nice sized ones for him to walk on, perhap bask or eat off of? If rocks are too small, he could possibly try to eat them. So you can see where having a few more details can help us to help you help little Bertie. :) You must be feeling a bit picked on and swamped with all these thoughts and questions we all are giving and asking of you. Please do not feel like we are picking on you, it's all asked in a nice way. Once more, so glad your here!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
...and the more we know, the better we'll be able to answer your questions and help you.