Help please, horsefield has consumed raw chicken

Kayteetess

Hi, i have 2 horsefields which I let out on our enclosed patio which has horsefield friendly plants. Our little dog likes to relax amongst the horsefields quite often. Ive fed the dog her barf diet which includes raw chicken today and she's taken a chunk outside and to my horror I caught one of the horsefields taking a big chunk out of it, I think she's had a few mouthfuls. I'm new to tortoises having bought these from someone selling them very cheaply and with a poor setup
, no lighting and only ever been fed on lettuce and cucumber,although I'm new to them I realised this is not good for them. They've had a vet check as the females eye was closed ( now open just with drops). I've been researching everyday to ensure that I give them the best care that I can and feel quite awful about this happening. Should I be worried? She's approx 4 years.
Many thanks and much appreciated,
Kate

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Fes, Morocco
Hello, Kate, and a very warm welcome to Tortoise Forum.
I would say that just a little, probably won't do your tortoise any harm, it should pass through safely enough, my poor tortoise was fed on raw and cooked meat for a couple of weeks before I rescued her, and she is a happy, healthy girl today.
The bigger problem is your dog.
Please be careful, dogs that have been fine for years will suddenly decide"chew toy" and oh dear.
Have a look at http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/another-dog-story.45850/
Also read http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/beginner-mistakes.45180/
Then http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/russian-tortoise-care-sheet.80698/
Lots of great info here.
But please be careful of the dog, even the softest, gentlest dogs can kill torts.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I agree. Tortoises are opportunist. They will even eat dead rodents, birds etc, if they come across it. The big problem you need to worry about is letting your dog hang with your tort. Eventually, your tort will become a chew toy. It's happened way too many times with people that has said, their dog is so friendly, it wouldn't hurt a fly. Well, with in no time, they have a chewed up tort. Don't take the risk. Keep your dog from hanging with your tort.

Kayteetess

Great Thankyou, I called the vets first thing.Shes eat breakfast and onto more now and seems fine in herself. I'll keep our dog separate to be on the safe side.Thankyou for the replies and I'm looking forward to learning lots more on the forum.
Kind regards
Kate.

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
A very warm welcome to the forum!

Please keep the dog away from the tort. I have been thinking of getting a kitten/cat, and after I'd almost decided, I changed my mind; as a cat could harm my beloved tort. I'd kill the cat if it did!