Help please... pimple size growths on neck & shoulders

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rose's Mom

5 Year Member
Just noticed these growths on her neck & shoulder today... they are small pimple like growths... I used a q-tip lightly & they did not rub off... she doesn't seem to be uncomfortable... she has been eating normally & active in her little turtle way...

Attachments

• IMG_0496[1].JPG
    IMG_0496[1].JPG
    840.1 KB · Views: 212

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
A Land Far Away...
Hi and welcome! Huh, I have never saw them before that I can remember, hopefully soon somebody who has will let us know what they are.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Where about in the world do you live? Wooded area? Or bushy area? Have you taken a pair of granny magnifying glasses or a magnifying glass and looked at them in the bright light? I am on my phone right now and the screen is small...but the first thing that came to mind was ticks? Like I said I am limited on screen size and so I can not tell but I would make sure to look real close....especially if you said you suddenly noticed them?????

Ethan D

5 Year Member
Nebraska
i'm by no mean an expert, and i don't know if tortoises can get these, but they look like cysts, my dog has 2, one is the size of a small rock, the other pimple sized, but i am commenting to bump you back up to the top so other people can see :D

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Ethan D said:
i'm by no mean an expert, and i don't know if tortoises can get these, but they look like cysts, my dog has 2, one is the size of a small rock, the other pimple sized, but i am commenting to bump you back up to the top so other people can see :D

Actually they do look more like cysts. Thank you, I am having a bad day coming up with words, but cysts were my first thought. Then I also thought, on my dogs atleast, they grow rather slow. I would expect some types might grow faster however.

jennyBA

5 Year Member
Derbyshire UK
They look very much like ticks to me, not sure of the treatment to get them off :tort:

Ethan D

5 Year Member
Nebraska
Jacqui said:
Ethan D said:

Actually they do look more like cysts. Thank you, I am having a bad day coming up with words, but cysts were my first thought. Then I also thought, on my dogs atleast, they grow rather slow. I would expect some types might grow faster however.

lol np :D

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I tried to zoom in, and they look like ticks to me too. Where are you and where did you get the tortoise?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
The first thing I thought of was ticks too.

Weda737

5 Year Member
NC
Yeah, those have gotta be ticks, I see them all the time around here, I don't know for sure but deer ticks maybe.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
It's would be very unusual for a tortoise to pick up ticks in North America. Deer ticks want nothing to do with a cold blooded animal, much less a tortoise.

Weda737

5 Year Member
NC
Just a guess about the species. But I do see a lot of fat tiny identical ones here.

Rose's Mom

5 Year Member
ascott said:
Where about in the world do you live? Wooded area? Or bushy area? Have you taken a pair of granny magnifying glasses or a magnifying glass and looked at them in the bright light? I am on my phone right now and the screen is small...but the first thing that came to mind was ticks? Like I said I am limited on screen size and so I can not tell but I would make sure to look real close....especially if you said you suddenly noticed them?????

I am in Israel & 7 hours ahead of EST, so I was offline, sorry.... i did see a very small, hard to see pin prick size bug on her what should I look for... I will try & find a magnifying glass and take a peek at her next.... would love ideas for what do to. THANKS robin

Rose's Mom

5 Year Member
We just moved to Israel so this is a desert turtle..... any ideas on how to treat the ticks? We are a bit isolated & not sure if I could even find an English speaking vet... so any home treatments would be super helpful!

Thanks Robin

Nixxy

5 Year Member
New Hampshire
Those look like ticks...I've never heard anyone having trouble with any reptiles getting ticks in North America..

Fill us in on how they got there, how long they've been there, etc..

But really, a cold blooded animal isn't attractive to ticks, generally speaking.

Upon a google search or two, it'd seem desert tort's occasionally get ticks.

CLMoss

5 Year Member
Brooklyn, New York
On my computer these growths look like a virus (wart type), so I would say to get the tort to a vet asap. If it is ticks, you can use oil to smother them. Good luck.

Rose's Mom

5 Year Member
Nixxy said:
Those look like ticks...I've never heard anyone having trouble with any reptiles getting ticks in North America..

Fill us in on how they got there, how long they've been there, etc..

But really, a cold blooded animal isn't attractive to ticks, generally speaking.

Upon a google search or two, it'd seem desert tort's occasionally get ticks.

I looked up ticks & it does look like the picture but not a lot of information on what to do for turtles... I am in Israel so this is a desert turtle, I asked about an English speaking vet here & can't find one.. went to two pet stores & they don't do turtles if I understood them.... so any advise would be great!

Status
Not open for further replies.