Help please! (What kind of tortoise is this?)

Hgomez

Location (City and/or State)
CA
I found this tortoise and plan on keeping it I have no clue what kind of tortoise it is looks like a sulcata or desert just not sure I want to buy it proper food and adequate housing. 67EA52C9-D220-4221-9623-25F675E3CEB8.jpeg

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
I found this tortoise and plan on keeping it I have no clue what kind of tortoise it is looks like a sulcata or desert just not sure I want to buy it proper food and adequate housing. View attachment 340363
This is a Russian Tortoise.

Hgomez

CA
This is a Russian Tortoise.

Thank you! Any recommendations on what I should do specifically for this tortoise

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
You first should try to find the rightful owners. Russians are escape artist and the owners may be looking for him. Someone that finds someone else's pet should always try to find the owners first.

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
Thank you! Any recommendations on what I should do specifically for this tortoise
Look for the owners first. It's not a native tortoise and someone may be missing this guy/girl.

Hgomez

CA
You first should try to find the rightful owners. Russians are escape artist and the owners may be looking for him. Someone that finds someone else's pet should always try to find the owners first.
Tried that the first time it came out in my backyard in September of last year and no one claimed it.

Hgomez

CA
Look for the owners first. It's not a native tortoise and someone may be missing this guy/girl.
Tried that the first time it came out in my backyard in September of last year and no one claimed it.

Thomas tortoise

Arkansas
I found this tortoise and plan on keeping it I have no clue what kind of tortoise it is looks like a sulcata or desert just not sure I want to buy it proper food and adequate housing. View attachment 340363
He is not a sulcata he is a Russian tortoise. Sulcatas get big! Russians get the size of a medium dinner plate and stay that size. Like all tortoises he eats plants and sometimes some insects like mealworms. He needs to have uvb and uva lighting and heat! He should not be in less than 60 degrees.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
He is not a sulcata he is a Russian tortoise. Sulcatas get big! Russians get the size of a medium dinner plate and stay that size. Like all tortoises he eats plants and sometimes some insects like mealworms.
While torts may occasionally eat live bugs on leaves, I don't think mealworms are on the list of foods to be fed to this species; as I understand it they get their protein from plants. I may be wrong and missed it on the caresheet - let's ask @Tom.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Hi and welcome.
Have you had this tort since last September?
If you read the caresheet linked above - that will tell you everything you need for this tort and if you follow the advice he should thrive, but ask as many questions as you like there's always someone here to help.

Hgomez

CA
Hi and welcome.
Have you had this tort since last September?
If you read the caresheet linked above - that will tell you everything you need for this tort and if you follow the advice he should thrive, but ask as many questions as you like there's always someone here to help.
Hello and thank you. No it came out in my backyard last September but I just let it be after no one claimed it and I guess it’s been burrowed somewhere in my backyard this whole time, it’s almost 90 degrees today here where I am in California and I saw it sunbathing in my yard again. I will look at the care sheet and start feeding it dark leafy greens asap.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
He is not a sulcata he is a Russian tortoise. Sulcatas get big! Russians get the size of a medium dinner plate and stay that size. Like all tortoises he eats plants and sometimes some insects like mealworms. He needs to have uvb and uva lighting and heat! He should not be in less than 60 degrees.
Thomas, none of that is correct. Please refrain from giving advice about species you don't know.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
The care sheet that Todd linked for you above is specifically for your tortoise. Care for the temperate species is pretty much the same. I wrote that sheet with Russians, DTs, Chersina, greeks, and hermanni in mind.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
While torts may occasionally eat live bugs on leaves, I don't think mealworms are on the list of foods to be fed to this species; as I understand it they get their protein from plants. I may be wrong and missed it on the caresheet - let's ask @Tom.
No you are not wrong.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Oh I am so sorry I tried looking it up but I guess Google is wrong
Most sources of tortoise info are all wrong. Vets, breeders, "experts", you tubers, book authors, pet stores, etc... All wrong. This forum is the only source I know of that gives up to date correct care info for most species. Some of the best and most experienced tortoise keepers in the entire world are on this forum, and we share info daily.

Take a minute to read that care sheet that Todd linked in the second post of this thread and see how it differs from what you found on google.

Thomas tortoise

Arkansas
Okay
Most sources of tortoise info are all wrong. Vets, breeders, "experts", you tubers, book authors, pet stores, etc... All wrong. This forum is the only source I know of that gives up to date correct care info for most species. Some of the best and most experienced tortoise keepers in the entire world are on this forum, and we share info daily.

Take a minute to read that care sheet that Todd linked in the second post of this thread and see how it differs from what you found on google.
Okay thanks!