Help please with a new lethargic red foot

Berhalter

Hello,

We just got our first tortoise (a sweet redfoot that is under a year old) one week ago today. The warm side of his enclosure is 85 degrees. The cooler side is around 70. At night, it all goes to around 67 at night. Humidity is 50-70%. I leave his heat light on around 13 hrs/day and UVB light on around 6hrs/day. He has water but does not seem to ever soak in it.

For the past 2 days, he has been lethargic. He has occasional nose bubbles, and he seems slow to open his eyes. Two days ago, he ate eagerly, but yesterday he was not interested at all. I have only seen him poop once since we got him. He was a gift for my son (3rd grader), and he has been taking him out once a day for about 20 min (maybe too much handling for a new tortoise?).

What should we do? I'm so worried about him. Thank you in advance. I am also probably calling the vet as soon as they are open.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
A Land Far Away...
I would stop the handling for now. Start giving him warm soaks made from warm water and babyfood (like the pure carrot one is my favorite). You could also add some plain pedialyte (sp?). Have the water mixture up to where his two shells meet. Make sure you keep the water warm and don't let it get cold. Since he is sick, I would do like 2 or even 3 soaks a day for 15-20 mins. This will hydrate him and give a little nutrition. I would raise his temps a little (this is a good idea on any sick tortoise), but especially keep those night temps up higher with this baby. Do you know if there is a good reptile vet in your area (even a bird one would work if need be). Saying that because most often the "normal" small animal vets have little real knowledge of tortoises. Because of the combination of bubbles, being lethargic, and not eating I would want a Vet to look him over to be sure he is not getting an upper respiratory infection.

Now on a side note, you may want to tell us how you have the little one setup, so we can help you tweak it to what is needed. What kind of heat light is it? Is it a CHE by any chance or like a red or black light? What type of UVB light is it for the day time? How strong is it? substrate is what? Hide(s)? Diet? Humidity? What are you using to read temperatures and are those taken right down on the substrate next to him? The works.

N2TORTS

5 Year Member
Your night temps are too cold.....Any drafts with 67 temps , RF's are very easily to succumb to RI infections.-Repository Infection ( which sounds like your tort has) . As Jacqui mentioned bump your temps up , and keep tortoise well hydrated. If caught early on your tort should clear up just fine. If perhaps condition worsens ( leads to phenomena) a Vet trip is due. Usual recommendation Vet has is Baytril ( which not all torts/species do well with this type of medication ,and can have allergic reactions ) and or Ceftazidime.........both of which need to be calibrated in dosage according to tortoise's weight. By your Vet of Course....

J~

Berhalter

How would I know if he develops pneumonia? He's making a clicking sound when he swallows and just pooped mucus when I soaked him.

Berhalter

So...I took him to the vet, and he is wormy and has a bacterial respiratory infection. I'm so glad I took him in. Now to get him better. We did pick up a infrared heat light for the night. Thanks for your suggestions.

N2TORTS

5 Year Member
Very good .... keep him/her well hydrated during this time. Warm soaks a few times a day . Don't worry if he isn't eating . A tortoise can go a very long time with no food. With being sick and the anti biotics , usually they wont have much of an appetite,
I'm curious what type of anti-biotics did your Vet apply?

Berhalter

We have Gentocin Drops for his eyes and nose and Amikacin/Vit B/Ca shots every 3 days for 21 days. I'm not sure of the worm med as they gave that to him at the vet's office.

I'm planning to call the store where we got him 7 days ago to let them know about the worms, etc.--not that I expect them to care, but they should....