Help! Pothos Eye Irritation URGENT

shaine m

Location (City and/or State)
Kentucky
Thank you all very much for all the replies and advice. I will definitely be frequenting the forums, hopefully no more in the health section. My guy will be seeing the vet tomorrow, I’m just too worried. I hate the feeling that an animal is experiencing discomfort because of something I’ve done. Hopefully he heals quickly. Thanks again

jsheffield

5 Year Member
Westmoreland, NH
I read this and wondered if maybe the plantings are fresh from the store and have some fertilizers or pesticides in the dirt or leaves ... if so, that might explain the tortoises irritation.

Just a thought ....

Jamie

Pastel Tortie

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
North Florida
Consider getting some long grain sphagnum moss (orchid moss) to put as an extra layer on top of the other (appropriate) substrate. Soak it, squeeze the water out, and put it into your boxie's enclosure. It holds moisture well, and it's soft. If you pile it up in some places, your turtle may enjoy burrowing into it. If you have a thick enough layer of moss, your boxie may not get as dirty. I wouldn't use it by itself, it needs something more substantial either mixed in with it, or layered underneath.

shaine m

Kentucky
I read this and wondered if maybe the plantings are fresh from the store and have some fertilizers or pesticides in the dirt or leaves ... if so, that might explain the tortoises irritation.

Just a thought ....

Jamie
I made sure to remove all dirt from the store and rinse the plants thoroughly. No pesticides for my guy!

shaine m

Kentucky
Hi all! Speedy (I named him when I was 5 cut me some slack haha) is feeling like his regular grumpy self! The vet determined the coco fiber was just too much for him as he has never been introduced before and overall just doesnt recommend it (to each their own). He has his old organic paper fiber bedding with pillow moss (buying more tomorrow :)) we are both thankful for everyones help and kindness. Thanks!