Help!! Prolapse of some sort

Status
Not open for further replies.

laura808

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
not able to leave comments for now
ImageUploadedByTortForum1377994051.822952.jpg
I noticed that Otis the tortoise had something near his butt that was out of the ordinary. Usually when he flashes it's just out for a couple minutes and pinkish in color. I found him like that today and he's had it out for about an hour so far. I soaked him for half an hour. He's about 4 years old. Please tell me what's wrong!! Thanks!

ImageUploadedByTortForum1377994235.857337.jpgImageUploadedByTortForum1377994277.163459.jpg
A couple more pictures of Otis

Please help I'm really worried! He seems to be acting normal, but I know how deadly prolapsed can be. This isn't normal.. I also don't know of any good reptile vets in hawaii

Last edited by a moderator:

SANDRA_MEISSNEST

5 Year Member
you need to see a vet as soon as possible! it could be a prolapse or maybe even a tumor. the vet has to cut it away and he has to have surgery
Sent from my ZTE N9120 using TortForum mobile app

let us know what the vet said but like I said as soon as possible it's really bad.
how long has it been like that?

he probably can't poop, and you know what that means if you can't poop you can die

laura808

5 Year Member
I'm not sure how long it's been like that, I just saw it today a couple hours ago. The earliest we could take him in would be tomorrow. Now that you mention it, I haven't seen him poop in a couple days :( I'm so worried!

SANDRA_MEISSNEST

5 Year Member
I understand,dont worry the vet will help him. Give him a soak with clean water, keep it clean. And go tomorrow as soon as possible, let us know what the vet said

It looks to me thst its been more days like that,because its yellow,what is so wired and then its pink rise on the top side,like there is no room for it .
Does he eat

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
Can you try and push it back in? Make sure it's rinsed clean, then gently try and push it back in. If it comes back out, try coating it with honey and wrap it with plenty of honey until you see the vet tomorrow. If you don't have honey, make a thick paste of sugar and a few drops of sugar. Apply over the exposed tissue, and wrap.

mikeh

5 Year Member
Until he sees the vet. my thought would not giving him anymore food, keeping him in a dark cooler place so he becomes inactive and digestion comes to a halt. Anyone thoughts on this?

sent from mobile device using TFO app

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
Otis is a sulcata. He can't have a cool place. He has to be kept warm (95-100 degrees) with water available to him if he chooses. The prolapse cannot dry out or the tissue will die. If the tissue dies, it will have to be surgically removed. If not, he will die. So, wrap the tissue in honey or sugar paste to help with the swelling and to keep the tissue moist until you see the vet tomorrow.

mikeh

5 Year Member
Nonsense, sulcatas are very cold resistant for short periods of time. This is no hatchling. I didn't say to dry out his prolapse, that you want to keep moist.
But keeping him hot will keep metabolism and digestion going and if he can't poop, it may keep piling up, prolapse get worse, even burst. That is if it is prolapse.

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
Take it easy guy...sullies shouldn't be put in a cool spot especially if he's not feeling good. Temps of less than 80degrees would make the sully feel uncomfortable. This goes for all sullies of all ages. Don't know where you're getting your info, but sullies are not Russians or other torts that can live in cooler temps. I'm giving advise on what we think is some sort of prolapse...something I know about. The tissue, if it's part of the intestines, need to be kept moist or the tissue will die. Sullies are not very cold resistant and will not accomplish a slowing of his metabolism if he's gonna see the vet tomorrow. I say keep him comfortable until tomorrow.

SANDRA_MEISSNEST

5 Year Member
I would say,wrap it in honey, and no food just water until tomorrow .and then up to the vet

Dont.yry to push it back!! Its way to big,the vet should see what t is also u dont want it to burst

I mean try

Dont try to push it in

mikeh

5 Year Member
Re: RE: Help!! Prolapse of some sort

sibi said:
Take it easy guy...sullies shouldn't be put in a cool spot especially if he's not feeling good. Temps of less than 80degrees would make the sully feel uncomfortable. This goes for all sullies of all ages. Don't know where you're getting your info, but sullies are not Russians or other torts that can live in cooler temps. I'm giving advise on what we think is some sort of prolapse...something I know about. The tissue, if it's part of the intestines, need to be kept moist or the tissue will die. Sullies are not very cold resistant and will not accomplish a slowing of his metabolism if he's gonna see the vet tomorrow. I say keep him comfortable until tomorrow.

That information is on every site, here is the first one I came upon from Reptiles Magazine.

Sulcata Tortoise Lighting and Temperature

Source:Reptiles Magazine
Sulcata tortoises that live outdoors are tolerant to various temperature ranges. High temperatures are not going to be a problem provided the tortoise has a shaded area to escape to if desired. The tortoises themselves can handle surprisingly cold temperatures, as low as 45 degrees Fahrenheit, with no problems.

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
Wrong! Don't believe everything you read. There's care sheets at pet stores that say sulcatas are from Africa and don't need water. You just can't believe everything you read. Tom's threads also mentions the correct temps for sullies, and he has had more experience with sulcatas than anyone I know. So, I'm not gonna argue with you about their temps. Believe whatever you want, just don't give bad info to someone where it can cause more harm to their sully. Remember, Otis is not an Wild, outside tort. He's a captive sully who has been under the OP's care.

mikeh

5 Year Member
Re: RE: Help!! Prolapse of some sort

sibi said:
Wrong! Don't believe everything you read. There's care sheets at pet stores that say sulcatas are from Africa and don't need water. You just can't believe everything you read. Tom's threads also mentions the correct temps for sullies, and he has had more experience with sulcatas than anyone I know. So, I'm not gonna argue with you about their temps. Believe whatever you want, just don't give bad info to someone where it can cause more harm to their sully.

Ask Tom at what temp are his sullies in their outside underground burrow he built for them. My guess is he will say 70-75F. Do more reading before giving people advice.

Laura,
Like Sandra said, no food, don't try pushing it back in, and please no 100F!

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
So, I guess you didn't read that he wishes he can make the temps at least 80 degrees, huh? So, if you are suggesting 75 degrees, why didn't you just say so? Instead, you reference a reptile magazine that says sullies can stay in 45 degree temps with no problem. This is a 5 degree difference than the coolest temp I stated for a sully (80 degrees). What's the point anyway? This is a ridiculous argument now. You're forgetting the main problem is the prolapse, and with that I've given the best advise.

mikeh said:
sibi said:
Wrong! Don't believe everything you read. There's care sheets at pet stores that say sulcatas are from Africa and don't need water. You just can't believe everything you read. Tom's threads also mentions the correct temps for sullies, and he has had more experience with sulcatas than anyone I know. So, I'm not gonna argue with you about their temps. Believe whatever you want, just don't give bad info to someone where it can cause more harm to their sully.

Ask Tom at what temp are his sullies in their outside underground burrow he built for them. My guess is he will say 70-75F. Do more reading before giving people advice.

laura808

5 Year Member
Thanks for the advice guys, he's been in a shallow pan of water for the past 6 hours or so, but I don't want to leave him in the cold water overnight. I now have him in a small enclosure with Timothy hay lining the bottom. My mom put some Vaseline on the prolapse to keep it moist overnight. I'm not sure if that's alright but she insisted. Ill let you know how the bet visit goes tomorrow!

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
Laura, the reason for the honey or sugar is to reduce the swelling. It truly helps. I'm glad you didn't leave him in the cold. Any updates?

SANDRA_MEISSNEST

5 Year Member
how is the tort doing did you want to the vet you have to go
also dont leave him for 6 hours in the water that's way too long like 30 minutes, and use the honey.vaseline doesn't do anything

laura808

5 Year Member
Hey everyone! Thank you so much for the support. We took Otis to the vet and she brought the swelling down. He's back to normal now, enjoying his hay and leafy greens :)

SANDRA_MEISSNEST

5 Year Member
Wondetful...i was worried what happend,did she said why it swoll up so much? not enough hydration?

Status
Not open for further replies.