• Wooden

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • PVC

Votes: 3 100.0%

• Total voters

Saoirse179

Location (City and/or State)
Galway, Ireland
Hi all! I'm a new member and need help with my enclosure. At the minute I have a wooden tortoise table and have had that for a year now. I had a mould problem on the base and got rid of it using vinegar and then lined my table with a thick shower curtain (seen it was recommended in one of the threads).The problem is that the mould is still returning and I'm beginning to think that maybe a wooden table is not best and I'm considering maybe a PVC tortoise table. I have a one year old Horsefeild tortoise named Shredder.Ive tried many different substrates but Shredder seems to love top-soil and loves to dig in it! I try to keep it moist but the mould is still a problem. Any help is greatly appreciated, I'll attach photos of my current enclosure.

IMG_20180808_144549.jpg IMG_20180808_144642.jpg

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Sheets of expanded PVC would certainly solve this problem. I've gone to using Animal Plastics PVC caging for all my indoor closed chambers and I'm thrilled with them. Or you could coat the wood with something like Pond Shield. In any case, the enclosure needs to be much larger and with taller sides.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Are you saying the mold grows on the wood? Or do you find mold at various places on the substrate?

Saoirse179

Galway, Ireland
Are you saying the mold grows on the wood? Or do you find mold at various places on the substrate?
It grows on the base of the wood, even though I have it lined. I live in Ireland and its really hard to find reptile safe varnish or wood coatings here or find ones that can be shipped. That's why I'm wondering if maybe a different material would be better.

Saoirse179

Galway, Ireland
Sheets of expanded PVC would certainly solve this problem. I've gone to using Animal Plastics PVC caging for all my indoor closed chambers and I'm thrilled with them. Or you could coat the wood with something like Pond Shield. In any case, the enclosure needs to be much larger and with taller sides.
Thanks for the advice. This set up is only a starter set up, and I want to get a new/updated one which is why I'm asking for advic for my new one.

Alex Z

5 Year Member
NYC
Pvc solves your issues. I have just begun bldg the new homes for my redfoots. Go with pvc. Search for enclosures pics of the material. No need to worry about rotting or buying some type of coating product for the wood.