HELP Red Eared Slider Swollen eye, won’t go down!

Natam

Location (City and/or State)
Tijuana, México
Hi. I have a red eared slider turtle. She’s 26, and about a month ago she woke up from hibernation and we noticed one of her eyes with swollen lids.

Took her to the vet. They did tests and told us it’s an edema, not an bacterial infection, most likely only swelling. Also I don’t think is vitamin A deficiency, since it’s only on one eye. They first prescribed antibacterials and antibiotic. Then antiinflamatories, and now a diuretic.

It’s been a month and the swelling hasn’t gone down. In fact, it’s gotten worse because the eye is pretty much closed now, and I don’t think the vet know what else to do. The swelling is sometimes better and sometimes worse.

I’ve been applying antiinflamatory drops, but to do that I need to open her lids and I don’t know if all the handling is making the swelling worse. When you touch the lids, it feels soft, like liquid.

Lives outdoors on a pool and has access to a dry space for basking, though this last month has been very cloudy so I’m not sure if she’s not healing because of lack to sun exposure or something. She lives with another turtle (they have been together their whole lives), which is more aggressive, so it’s possible she was bitten or scratched. They are sepparated for the time being.

She eats fine (pellets), and her mood seems ok: she isn’t lethargic.

My turtle’s super stressed, because of so much handling 🥺 we took her out of her habitat to keep her dry while healing, since she also had an ear abcess removed. We just returned her to her space, hoping the familiarity will make her more comfortable.

Please, any suggestions are welcome. The photos are from two weeks ago, right now her eye’s closed. ☹️

Thank you!

Attachments

• 4087E79C-ACC9-4D3B-9304-457CD92EE3AE.jpeg
    4087E79C-ACC9-4D3B-9304-457CD92EE3AE.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 3
  • 68469512-4632-4CED-836A-7C74816D1C43.jpeg
    68469512-4632-4CED-836A-7C74816D1C43.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 2
  • 92E65473-5DE5-4E42-B67E-6F22EB860EB8.jpeg
    92E65473-5DE5-4E42-B67E-6F22EB860EB8.jpeg
    316.4 KB · Views: 2

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Oh my! I've never seen anything like that before. Almost looks like a cancerous growth. Did the vet look closely with a magnifying glass to see if there's a sliver or foreign object in there?

Natam

Tijuana, México
Oh my! I've never seen anything like that before. Almost looks like a cancerous growth. Did the vet look closely with a magnifying glass to see if there's a sliver or foreign object in there?
Honestly I’m not sure. I think they only took a sample to check for infection, but I have been checking, and there’s nothing, at least on the outside. Not sure if there’s something inside the swelling though 😟

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
When did she have the "ear abscess" removed? Was this done by the same vet?

Natam

Tijuana, México
When did she have the "ear abscess" removed? Was this done by the same vet?
We took her to the vet mainly because of the eye, but there was already a bump because of the ear abscess.

They told us about it, and did surgery to remove the abscess on march 24th and during that surgery they tried to drain the eye, but they told us the edema was inside the lids, so they couldn’t.

It was all done by the same vet.

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
That does look odd. Never have seen something that advanced around one eye. It does look like a cancerous or perhaps a fungal growth, not just swelling.

Can you find a reptile vet who can culture it and see what it is?

Natam

Tijuana, México
That does look odd. Never have seen something that advanced around one eye. It does look like a cancerous or perhaps a fungal growth, not just swelling.

Can you find a reptile vet who can culture it and see what it is?
I think they did a test to check for infection, not sure if they tested for fungal growth. I’ll take her to another vet today and ask about that ☹️ thanks