Help ! Rescued a 4 y.o Russian w/ a cracked shell !

Status
Not open for further replies.

azimmer22

5 Year Member
Hello, I have a 6 year old Russian and a 5 year old Leoopard - just picked up a 4 year old Russan w/ a crack in it's shell - starts near the middle, one vertebral schute is chipped, crack runs into the right hind leg area, cleaned it with hydrogen peroxide, and it's a flesh wound for sure - nots sure what to do. She is in an isolated enclosure, on newspaper to keep the wound clean - not finding much info on the web - appreciate any help i can get.

She is eating and pooping, but generally seems weak. Eyes and nostrils look Ok - thanks to all.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hi azimmer22:

820048l4awu8996s.gif

to the forum!!

It would be a good idea to start the tortoise on a round of Baytril injections just to be sure there isn't any infection growing inside the tortoise. They usually recover quite nicely from these types of injuries, however a slow-growing infection can cause death long after the shell has healed. What you're doing sounds fine to me. You might try flushing the wound with chlorhexidine (Nolvesan) once a day. It will heal on its own.

kimber_lee_314

10 Year Member!
So Cal
You should get her to a vet. Depending on how big the crack is, it may need to be cleaned well and sealed up. Some people try to seal it on their own, but if it's not all cleaned it, this can be a huge mistake. Antibiotics may be needed as well. Posting a pic would be helpful.

azimmer22

5 Year Member
thank you -

any idea where to get these items ?

chlorhexidine (Nolvesan)
Baytril injections

kimber_lee_314

10 Year Member!
So Cal
You can buy chlorhexidine, but you will have to get a prescription for the Baytril.

azimmer22

5 Year Member
Thank you, do not know what happened, found her at the pet store, watched her fro a few weeks, decided to take her home and care for her - as pert the store owner, the animal came to him like that from the distributor -

Here's the crack -

Attachments

• crackers1.jpg
    crackers1.jpg
    78.9 KB · Views: 125

kimber_lee_314

10 Year Member!
So Cal
That's not too bad - you can probably just clean it well with the chlorhexidine. It looks like it may already healed. Unless she's not eating, or showing other signs of being sick, you don't need antibiotics. She's lucky you found her!

azimmer22

5 Year Member
who typically carries chlorhexidine, I see it is a mouthwash . . . thanks -

thanks, i will send another pic, it's where the shell meets her right hind leg that i am concerned about - she is eating a bit, but she seems to be sick to me . . . not very active you know. So, any idea where to get chlorhexidine ?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
No, its not a mouthwash. It is used by surgeons and vets as a surgical scrub. You can buy it as "Nolvesan" in any drug store or pharmacy. No prescription required. I also think the crack has healed.

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
USA
During collecting or transporting in the native country. They don't treat the tortoises very well Stephanie.

I agree that the crack is definately healing and isn't new. Though Kimber you should never "cover" a crack in the shell. The problem was that fiberglass just keeps in problems and doesn't let you fix the problem. The new thinking is to use tie wraps glued to the shell to keep it together. That way you can see the crack and keep it clean and get to any problems that come up.

Danny

azimmer22

5 Year Member
thanks, the spot I am worried about is under the shell, in the right leg cavity - will try to get a pic of that -

jlyoncc1

10 Year Member!
NJ
Like Danny said, do not cover the crack. I had a boxie that came to me as a rescue that had a fiberglass patch for shell rot. Well, I started to remove it and immediately knew there was a problem. Besides the fact that it smelled awful, it had a big healthy maggot in there. Needless to say the patch came off the boxie got cleaned up and healed fine.

azimmer22

5 Year Member
Here's a better pic of the spot i am concerned about -

Attachments

• crackers2.jpg
    crackers2.jpg
    81.8 KB · Views: 96

ChiKat

10 Year Member!
FL
Oh the poor little thing :(
Have you named her Crackers?

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
USA
There is a gap, but everything looks fine. The best test to find out if anything is wrong is to get your nose in there. :p Just get down there and smell. If it doesn't smell bad, than everything is fine. :D

Danny

kimber_lee_314

10 Year Member!
So Cal
egyptiandan said:
During collecting or transporting in the native country. They don't treat the tortoises very well Stephanie.

I agree that the crack is definately healing and isn't new. Though Kimber you should never "cover" a crack in the shell. The problem was that fiberglass just keeps in problems and doesn't let you fix the problem. The new thinking is to use tie wraps glued to the shell to keep it together. That way you can see the crack and keep it clean and get to any problems that come up.

Danny

Thanks Danny! I had no idea this was not still being done. I had an RES that was chewed by a raccoon many years ago. The vet cleaned the wounds and covered it with a fiberglass patch. He recovered nicely. This new method you mentioned - is it just for cracks? How do they treat a turtle/tort with a chunk of shell missing? Thanks for keeping me informed on this! (I'm always horrified when I give out bad advice!) :(

ChiKat

10 Year Member!
FL
Weloveourtortoise said:
the poor little thing!!! However, I do like Katie's suggestion on a name -- Crackers would be great!!!

haha I only suggested that because that's what the attached picture was saved as ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.