Help rescued tortoise who is shy

TankTheHermann

I currently have a hermann tort and a day ago my dad bought I think a Russian tort from petco because he've seen him or her in there for quite some time now and he/she didn't have a place to hide and was fed peas and carrot so he bought the tort. When he got home and gave me the tort the shell has been damaged slightly and he/she is scared/shy to come out what should I do

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
You have separate habitats for them, right?

Tortoises are territorial, and it is very stressful on them to be removed from a territory they've gotten used to and plunked down in a new territory. It's going to take a couple of weeks for the tortoise to get used to his new spot. If it is at all possible, you should set him up outside. They settle in quicker and do much better in an outdoor yard.

WillTort2

5 Year Member
Read the forum for proper care of Russians. Set up as large an enclosure as you can. Offer healthy food choices. Have a good basking spot with temperatures checked with a temperature gun. Use a shallow water dish for safety and ease of entry.

Once everything is setup for a healthy environment; then just give your tortoise some quiet and quit hovering over to watch. With time your tort will adapt to the improved conditions and realize that the giant in the room brings the food and is not a threat.

Good luck.

weldorNate

10 Year Member!
North Dakota
If u can get it outside it will help the tort getting over his shyness. I did that with one i adopted

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Also, understand that most Russians in your big chain pet stores were all wild caught torts..and have likely been exposed to horrible events on their way to the "lovely" pet store....

Calm, quiet and outdoor space would likely be appreciated....NOW PLEASE KNOW THAT THIS IS A SPECIES THAT IS PERFECT AT ESCAPE...so please do escape proof the space...this is a tortoise that can climb vertical as well as a premium digger....