Help! Sick baby Sulcata

ben32hayt

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Long Island, New York
I am very happy s/he are and is perking up! I want to thank everyone for their help and I will keep you all updated on the situation!

ben32hayt

5 Year Member
Long Island, New York
Good news! My little guy has been perking up and has gotten his/her appetite back! :) here are some pictures I took of my bright sulcata ImageUploadedByTortForum1384295906.012733.jpgImageUploadedByTortForum1384295924.080003.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
What substrate are you using ? It looks like potting soil . If it has the little white foam balls in it I would get that out of there. Go with coco coir and cypress mulch . Your little tortoise will try to eat it and you nay have more problems than just the eyes.

ben32hayt

5 Year Member
Long Island, New York
mike taylor said:
What substrate are you using ? It looks like potting soil . If it has the little white foam balls in it I would get that out of there. Go with coco coir and cypress mulch . Your little tortoise will try to eat it and you nay have more problems than just the eyes.

It is top soil with vermiculite. Will the vermiculite harm him/her from what I have seen it is used as a substrate for eggs and hatchlings when they are first born. I usually use the exact mix you stated but I wanted to try something different. Hope this was not a big mistake. Thanks, Ben

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
I would ask Tom to be 100% sure. I think I read something on here Tom posted about it impacting inside of them.

BeeBee*BeeLeaves

5 Year Member
Orange County, So Cal
Eek, no vermiculite and no perlite. Both can cause problems. Impaction. Danger, danger Will Robinson.
Perlite is amorphous volcanic glass. Yes, glass.
As for vermiculite, some have asbestos. I know. Freak out.
Coco coir is wonderful and you can wash and reuse it for years. Fine grade orchid mulch is also an I like. Without, the above added.
So happy you got rid of that coil bulb and that baby is recovering from it. Yay! : )