Help (sick tort?)

Status
Not open for further replies.

TortyTom

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Houston / Webster, TX
Darwin is sick! He has been fine, traveling all over his enclosure and eating like a horse but today He wont eat and he just sets there and wont walk around. His eyes look clear but he won't open them all the way. I picked him up and it sounded like bubbling in his nose?? I called the vet (from your list) Safari Animal Care in League City, TX. but the the earliest Darwin can be seen is tomorrow at 3:00. Is there anything I can or should be doing in the meantime until we go to the Vet tomorrow? I don't know why he would just get sick like this all of the sudden? His enclosure stays 85 degrees with about 88% humidity. His humid hide box stays about 90 with 90%. I'm FREAKING OUT!

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
RE: Help

Keep him warm. Is all I can tell you. Is it possible he ate something he wasn't suppose too? Are you soaking him enough? Maybe others will have more. Good luck tomorrow, fingers crossed all is fine. Let us know

TortyTom

5 Year Member
Houston / Webster, TX
RE: Help

He only eats the approved greens and Zoo Med Tortoise food. I give a little calcium over his food about every 3 or 4 days. He has 30 min soaks every two days. ?????????

TortyTom

5 Year Member
Houston / Webster, TX
Now I am really confused!! Darwin has pooed a LOT in the last hour. About 6 big ones! Now he is running around everywhere! Just lap after lap around his enclosure stopping every couple laps to eat some food. I have never seen him this active. Do you think maybe he was just constipated??

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
TortyTom said:
Now I am really confused!! Darwin has pooed a LOT in the last hour. About 6 big ones! Now he is running around everywhere! Just lap after lap around his enclosure stopping every couple laps to eat some food. I have never seen him this active. Do you think maybe he was just constipated??

Well, yes it sure sounds like it. I think I would be running around having a party too, if I were a little tort and pooped that much. He must feel so gooooood:D glad things moved on out:D Just keep and eye on him for about a week and I would soak him every day for about a week. Do it in the tub, where he can walk around a lot. That also gets things moving:D

mytortET

5 Year Member
:p LOL I'm glad he's doing better! :D How we LOVE our torts! :tort: If they only knew about the emotional roller coaster they put us on! :rolleyes:

TortyTom

5 Year Member
Houston / Webster, TX
Well I canceled the vet visit for today because Darwin seems fine and back to his old self! He is very active and eating like a starving Pit Bull that just found a juicy steak! I will watch him closer then normal for the next few days just to make sure. Still not sure why, how or what could have got him so constipated? Thanks for all the kind words!

cemmons12

5 Year Member
Greenfield, In.
Id just be sure to keep him warm, and if u see bubbles start to come from his nose then id go to the vet for sure. I hope all goes good, I hate reading/having a sick tort, just worries me to death! Not sure how old yours is, but I still soak Cooper everyday. Best of luck to u both!

mytortET

5 Year Member
OMGosh... the day after my post to you, my sully came down with a RI! :(

After his soak I noticed two small bubbles from his nose. He stopped eating and became very lethargic! Took him to a vet and I'm now nursing him back to health.

Glad your tort is back to normal.

Status
Not open for further replies.