Help (sleeps most of the time)

Kennabear914

Location (City and/or State)
Wisconsin
IMG_1526756939.333407.jpg this is Ollie and he’s usually the hungriest little guy in the world. He eats a lot and his favorite food is kale but I’ve noticed he’s been sleeping almost all the time lately and now I can’t get him to eat. I’m so worried and I don’t know what to do.

CarolM

South Africa - Cape Town
View attachment 239180 this is Ollie and he’s usually the hungriest little guy in the world. He eats a lot and his favorite food is kale but I’ve noticed he’s been sleeping almost all the time lately and now I can’t get him to eat. I’m so worried and I don’t know what to do.
Hi there.
When you say favorite food is kale. How much kale is he eating. And do you add other food to his diet so that he gets a big variety of food?

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
This may not be the reason your tort is off his food but The Tortoise Table says this about Kale
upload_2018-5-19_20-33-33.png
so maybe try to add more fresh weeds to his diet.

Antoni

View attachment 239180 this is Ollie and he’s usually the hungriest little guy in the world. He eats a lot and his favorite food is kale but I’ve noticed he’s been sleeping almost all the time lately and now I can’t get him to eat. I’m so worried and I don’t know what to do.
There are a few things you can try. One is to check the temps, torts have a hard time digesting food when they are not warm enough. Another thing is to soak them in a warm bath. You can also try giving a variety by adding mazuri and mixed greens to the diet. @Tom has a wonderful caresheet and list of greens u can add to their diet. Try those out. And keep us posted

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Give us the run down of temps humidity diet and what equipment your using for temps and uvb and what your using to read those temps.
As stated, kale isn't a main diet food and nothing should be the only food.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
this is Ollie and he’s usually the hungriest little guy in the world. He eats a lot and his favorite food is kale but I’ve noticed he’s been sleeping almost all the time lately and now I can’t get him to eat. I’m so worried and I don’t know what to do.

Where did you get him and how was he started? See the big notch between his scutes? That is an indicator of very dry conditions. Give this a read through. Its might not be good news, but I think its better to know what is going on. If (Big IF…) this is your issue, no amount of vet care or money can save a baby with damaged kidneys. Most of what a vet will do will make it worse.
https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/hatchling-failure-syndrome.23493/