Help! Switching to a larger cage!! Need advice!

Location (City and/or State)
New york
Hey guys! We are planning on switching Shelldon into a larger enclosure once we get into a new apartment and have a bit more space. I would like for him to have different textures for him to dig through and explore. Thing is my pet store doesn’t really sell any type of dirt or any finely ground anything. So my question is what kind of dirt is safe to put in his cage? Is there maybe some type of soil I can get from the Country Max or maybe a hardware store? I know a lot of soil like that has weird stuff mixed into it for plant food and I’m not sure what is safe for my tort.. Any info helps!! Thank you!!!

Blackdog1714

5 Year Member
Richmond, VA
Bagged soils often have sand so thats a no go. You can use cypress mulch and fine fir bark (Reptibark). Then get some large paving stones and use as a divider for the two substrates. I would make the cold diggable side from cypress since it is cheaper.

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Hey guys! We are planning on switching Shelldon into a larger enclosure once we get into a new apartment and have a bit more space. I would like for him to have different textures for him to dig through and explore. Thing is my pet store doesn’t really sell any type of dirt or any finely ground anything. So my question is what kind of dirt is safe to put in his cage? Is there maybe some type of soil I can get from the Country Max or maybe a hardware store? I know a lot of soil like that has weird stuff mixed into it for plant food and I’m not sure what is safe for my tort.. Any info helps!! Thank you!!!

Check this deal out for Coco coir

➡️ https://hydrobuilder.com/growit-commercial-coco-5kg-bale.html

Might be worth it, shipped right to your house/flat/apartment.

New york
Bagged soils often have sand so thats a no go. You can use cypress mulch and fine fir bark (Reptibark). Then get some large paving stones and use as a divider for the two substrates. I would make the cold diggable side from cypress since it is cheaper.
Awesome thank you so much I will look in to it

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Coco coir, fine grade orchid bark, or cypress mulch. All need to be kept damp. Hand pack the coco coir if you go that way. It can be messy.

Soil, sand, and most other substrates are not safe for one or more reasons.

New york
Coco coir, fine grade orchid bark, or cypress mulch. All need to be kept damp. Hand pack the coco coir if you go that way. It can be messy.

Soil, sand, and most other substrates are not safe for one or more reasons.
Awesome, thank you for the advice. We ended up trying out a mix of coco coir and cypress mulch in his digging areas and some coconut husk for the rest he really seems to enjoy it so far. I mixed the mulch and the coco coir cos he was sinking like quicksand in just the straight up coco coir. It was very funny

Attachments

• 46B5264A-9911-423A-9A90-72DEBB8F0614.jpeg
    46B5264A-9911-423A-9A90-72DEBB8F0614.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 16
  • 8A0D0D42-C385-499E-80DD-3DEDA2D39DF8.jpeg
    8A0D0D42-C385-499E-80DD-3DEDA2D39DF8.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 14
  • 462C3AB9-D0F5-4AA7-AA52-C99633556339.jpeg
    462C3AB9-D0F5-4AA7-AA52-C99633556339.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 14

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Awesome, thank you for the advice. We ended up trying out a mix of coco coir and cypress mulch in his digging areas and some coconut husk for the rest he really seems to enjoy it so far. I mixed the mulch and the coco coir cos he was sinking like quicksand in just the straight up coco coir. It was very funny
Yeah. You have to firmly hand pack the coir so its not loose. Sounds like what you are doing is working now.