Help :( Think baby horsefield tortoise has died.

oliviaweav

Hi,

Sadly, last night my baby boy Henry died but I heard tortoises can fake their death? He was diagnosed with kidney disease back in January/February and he was taking medicine to help it get better - which it did! He isn't the most lively tortoise, he sleeps a lot and when he was diagnosed with kidney disease he was too weak to open his eyes which is still a problem. I found him yesterday in his food bowl, he had eaten all of his dinner and he just wasn't moving, I picked him up and he was so cold - even though he was under his lamp. His legs are stuck out all crooked and his head his poking out, he is very stiff and isn't moving AT ALL. I am in shock and not sure what to do. Is he faking it? or have I lost my baby?

Please help.

Pearly

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Central Texas, Austin area
Sweetie, cold/stiff/not moving/not breathing in my book means lack of vital activity=death. I am so sorry for your loss. Before you burry him, please be absolutely sure he is not breathing. Another member on here has had sick tortoise who at one point looked dead. I think he had waited over night before giving her funeral, and the next morning found her moving. I don't know about torts "playing dead" but I am a beginner in their keeping. Hopefully some seasoned members here will start chiming in soon. It is 6:30 in the US. People will start checking their devices soon I hope. Hang in there

oliviaweav

Thank you. I have left him last night and today so I am hoping when I go home he will be munching on his lunch I left for him, if not I will have to start making a little hole. Thank you for your help.

DawnH

5 Year Member
Southeast Texas
I would try and warm soak but it really seems like he has passed. The stiffness is not a good sign but I am pretty stubborn and would try anyways. Please keep us updated!

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
sadlya stiff tortoiseis ia a dead tortoise. I'm sorry my condolences

Stephanie Rae

Corvallis
Hi,

Sadly, last night my baby boy Henry died but I heard tortoises can fake their death? He was diagnosed with kidney disease back in January/February and he was taking medicine to help it get better - which it did! He isn't the most lively tortoise, he sleeps a lot and when he was diagnosed with kidney disease he was too weak to open his eyes which is still a problem. I found him yesterday in his food bowl, he had eaten all of his dinner and he just wasn't moving, I picked him up and he was so cold - even though he was under his lamp. His legs are stuck out all crooked and his head his poking out, he is very stiff and isn't moving AT ALL. I am in shock and not sure what to do. Is he faking it? or have I lost my baby?

Please help.
Oh no! I'm so sorry. :(