Location (City and/or State)
Castle Rock, Colorado
Hey guys! Yesterday someone on the forum guessed Otis is between 5-10+ years old. Is there a way I can narrow down a closer guess to how old he is? Also, does his shell look dry and should I be doing anything for it? Currently, I mist him and short soaks. Thanks in advance :)

Attachments

• Otie Shell.jpg
    Otie Shell.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 30

TeamZissou

Albuquerque, NM
It's impossible to say. The range of 5-10 is probably accurate. Otis is fully grown. The shell looks like a normal Russian shell to me.

Mrs.Jennifer

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Norwich CT
Hey guys! Yesterday someone on the forum guessed Otis is between 5-10+ years old. Is there a way I can narrow down a closer guess to how old he is? Also, does his shell look dry and should I be doing anything for it? Currently, I mist him and short soaks. Thanks in advance :)
Welcome to TFO! There are several of us that use cold pressed virgin coconut oil on our tort’s shells. I just use a little after a soak (once he’s dabbed dry with a towel) about once a month. Use a paper towel or a piece of t-shirt to rub a small amount all over the carapace, and then wipe off any excess. It does help it to be less dull and dry looking.

Castle Rock, Colorado
Welcome to TFO! There are several of us that use cold pressed virgin coconut oil on our tort’s shells. I just use a little after a soak (once he’s dabbed dry with a towel) about once a month. Use a paper towel or a piece of t-shirt to rub a small amount all over the carapace, and then wipe off any excess. It does help it to be less dull and dry looking.
I just so happen to have that in my pantry! I will give that a try. How often should I be giving him a soak for the age of 5-10? He has a terra cotta saucer in his house but has not used it in 5 days of having him.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
This is the most up to date caresheet for Russians

Maybe let him have longer soaks but don't let the water get cold, keep bailing some out and topping up with warm.

It's impossible to tell a tort age exactly unless you know the hatch date. They all grow at different rates depending on the conditions they are kept in etc.