Help! Tortoise displaying weird behaviour post-hibernation.

Swetortoise

5 Year Member
Hello everyone, I would very much appreciate responses on this thread as I'm getting very concerned for my tortoise at this point. I own a Hermanns Tortoise who's about 15 years old and yesterday around 3pm, I took him out of hibernation. He sat under the basking light for a good while, I gave him a warm bath and offered some food. Couldn't tell if he drank any water - but food wasn't touched.
This morning I put on the lights and left for work, tort was sleeping in his tree house. When I come home today 8 hours later he hasn't moved a spot, food still untouched. Now I've put him in his basking spot, but he's still incredibly slow, unusually shy and shows no interest in eating.

I'm considering going to the vet tomorrow if things don't get better. Any advice on this matter would be appreciated!

Kasia

Location (City and/or State)
Poland
Sometimes they take it slow for a couple of days post hibernation but if you seen him trough out couple of years and think this time it’s different take him to a vet. He could get a RI during hibernation and needs meds. Did you notice any nasal discharge?

Swetortoise

5 Year Member
Sometimes they take it slow for a couple of days post hibernation but if you seen him trough out couple of years and think this time it’s different take him to a vet. He could get a RI during hibernation and needs meds. Did you notice any nasal discharge?
Luckily it seems I got carried away. 2 days later and tort is starting to eat and drink! No nasal discharge either. Thanks for the reply.

Labsue

Long Beach CA
I’m glad your tortoise is ok! I am a new member and I joined because I’m not sure what to do for my tortoise after he woke up on March 12. So I put him outside and he didn’t do much, as usual. But a light rain started last night (and it was cold), and he was moving around a little seeming to be seeking water but also making a weird little sound. I gave him a little water, then decided it was too cold and wet outside so I put him in his box and brought him indoors. So far he’s just sleeping. Should I wake him up and soak him? It’s still going to be cold (below 50 at night and low 60s day with more rain possibly coming). I’d really appreciate any help/advice I can get.

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
I’m glad your tortoise is ok! I am a new member and I joined because I’m not sure what to do for my tortoise after he woke up on March 12. So I put him outside and he didn’t do much, as usual. But a light rain started last night (and it was cold), and he was moving around a little seeming to be seeking water but also making a weird little sound. I gave him a little water, then decided it was too cold and wet outside so I put him in his box and brought him indoors. So far he’s just sleeping. Should I wake him up and soak him? It’s still going to be cold (below 50 at night and low 60s day with more rain possibly coming). I’d really appreciate any help/advice I can get.
Hi. You might get quicker responses if you start your own thread about your problems in particular, give it a new title, instead of piggybacking on someone else's! Although they probably don't mind?;)

Labsue

Long Beach CA
Hi. You might get quicker responses if you start your own thread about your problems in particular, give it a new title, instead of piggybacking on someone else's! Although they probably don't mind?;)
Thank you! I didn’t know how to start my own thread. Got it done though.