Help, tortoise keeps making a strange quack noise

Sutlac

Location (City and/or State)
London
Hello so my 5 month old leopard tortoise keeps making sound throughout the day and at first I thought it might be a bit of an infection but he doesn’t sneez, doesn’t have a reduced appotite or bubbles coming out of noise. He makes a clicking sound when eating and seems to open his mouth wide when making noise. I took him to the Vet and they just gave some antibiotics which I placed it the water everyday for 6 days. It did not work and I don’t know what to do

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
My rule of thumb is if he's eating, wandering, and acting normal, leave him alone and don't worry about it.

Try to see if you can figure out where the click is coming from Does his beak need a trim, etc

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
I’m with Yvonne. Our Sully always makes odd noises. My question is what the trained vet treated your tortoise for? Seems odd to “treat” an unknown illness. 🤷‍♂️

Double check your temperatures, keep soaking, good humidity, proper food, sunshine & exercise.

Good luck

Sutlac

London
My rule of thumb is if he's eating, wandering, and acting normal, leave him alone and don't worry about it.

Try to see if you can figure out where the click is coming from Does his beak need a trim, etc
Yh I guess, as I just got him 2 weeks ago, I wasn’t sure if it’s something to worry about. I attached a picture of his head, would you say his beak needs a trim?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 6

Sutlac

London
I’m with Yvonne. Our Sully always makes odd noises. My question is what the trained vet treated your tortoise for? Seems odd to “treat” an unknown illness. 🤷‍♂️

Double check your temperatures, keep soaking, good humidity, proper food, sunshine & exercise.

Good luck
Yh so I told him that he constantly makes noise even at night. It sounds like he struggles to breath sometimes. He didn’t take much look at him and said il prescribe you antibiotics. Even if it is a cold surely there would be improvements after a while of having good temps and food

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Hi and welcome.
This is the caresheet you need to help your tort thrive
It was a godsend for me when my leopard adopted me.
Read it through but ask as a many questions as you like, you'll always get good advice.

Sutlac

London
Hi and welcome.
This is the caresheet you need to help your tort thrive
It was a godsend for me when my leopard adopted me.
Read it through but ask as a many questions as you like, you'll always get good advice.
Thanks, I managed to record the sound they both make. But I don’t think I can attach videos on here

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
Hello so my 5 month old leopard tortoise keeps making sound throughout the day and at first I thought it might be a bit of an infection but he doesn’t sneez, doesn’t have a reduced appotite or bubbles coming out of noise. He makes a clicking sound when eating and seems to open his mouth wide when making noise. I took him to the Vet and they just gave some antibiotics which I placed it the water everyday for 6 days. It did not work and I don’t know what to do
You put the antibiotics in the water for six days? This sounds really strange. How could he possibly benefit correctly from such a hit or miss application? Just trying to understand.

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
Is it just when he eats that he does this sound? And what is he eating when he does it?

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Thanks, I managed to record the sound they both make. But I don’t think I can attach videos on here
I think you can but have to go via YouTube and upload it from there.
Not something I've never done it but I'm sure someone more tech savvy will be along soon to let you know how

Sutlac

London
I think you can but have to go via YouTube and upload it from there.
Not something I've never done it but I'm sure someone more tech savvy will be along soon to let you know how
I manage to upload it and here are the 2 links,

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
What are your four temperatures and what equipment are you using to maintain them? Warm side, cool side, basking area, and overnight low?

What size and type enclosure?

What type of UV bulb?

mb1212

Bakersfield
My 75 year old gal has made different sounds over the years and It should not be a problem. No snot from nose then leave it alone.