Help, tortoise refuses to go to the bathroom indoors!

Julia B

Location (City and/or State)
Indiana
My tortoise won’t go to the bathroom indoors. It’s been cold this past week and I haven’t been able to take her outside, and she hasn’t pooped or peed once. I’m starting to get concerned because I don’t know if this could cause issues. I’ve also started to notice she yawns. I’ve seen her yawn three times in the past two days and I hope this isn’t because of a desperate infection. Her enclosure is kept at 40% humidity without any intervention (no spraying or misting) her eyes look good and she doesn’t have any nose drainage.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Put him into a tub of warm water that he can't climb out of and just leave him in there. After he gets tired of waiting for you to get him out he'll start scrambling and trying to escape. Once he starts that, the poop comes shortly after.

Julia B

Indiana
Put him into a tub of warm water that he can't climb out of and just leave him in there. After he gets tired of waiting for you to get him out he'll start scrambling and trying to escape. Once he starts that, the poop comes shortly after.
Okay thank you!!

Julia B

Indiana
Update, she expelled some urates but still no poo

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Update, she expelled some urates but still no poo
Is the tortoise eating every day? What goes in must come out.

If the long soaks don't do it, put the tortoise in a large plastic tub and go for a drive in a heated warm car. That always does it.

What are your four temperatures? Warm side, cool side, basking area, and overnight low.