HELP Tortoises are inactive

AmberD

Location (City and/or State)
Ontario
What would you recommend for me about the humidity? I can't keep my entire house humid. Is it best to unfortunately get rid of them?
Search enclosed chambers on here. They are easy to maintain humidity when properly set up :)

Bee62

Germany
I own two redfoot Tortoises that are around the same age (for some reason one is growing faster then the other) and they just sit in their hide all day everyday. They are about two years old now and I've had them since they were hatchlings. The basking temperatures are correct and they have a variety of greens and fruits so I don't understand the problem.
View attachment 214092
Any help would be appreciated

Hi,

redfoot tortoises are a species that hides most of the day.
I know what I am writing because I own two redfoots too. In their natural habitat they live in areas with forest or thick srub / plants.
Your tortoises have no problem. They live as their instinct tells them.
They need places to hide to feel comfortable and they need a lot of humidity. 80 - 90 % and warmth day and night.
Change your enclosure to a closed one and you will have no longer a problem with warmth or humidity.

AmberD

Ontario
They do look awesome. Would it be possible to buy them from anywhere?
If you Google search animal plastics, you can purchase them. Or if you're handy, plywood and 2x4s would work with some plexi glass as a door. There are plenty of people who have built them on here all with their own style. Pond liner or shower curtain along the bottom to water proof or there is a paint, I can't remember what its called but its white and water proof. Also used a lot on here.

JakeSnake9502

Chicago Illinois, USA
Hi,

redfoot tortoises are a species that hides most of the day.
I know what I am writing because I own two redfoots too. In their natural habitat they live in areas with forest or thick srub / plants.
Your tortoises have no problem. They live as their instinct tells them.
They need places to hide to feel comfortable and they need a lot of humidity. 80 - 90 % and warmth day and night.
Change your enclosure to a closed one and you will have no longer a problem with warmth or humidity.
So there is no way to encourage them to be like other tortoises to come out? I see others with redfoots that are always active

Bee62

Germany
So there is no way to encourage them to be like other tortoises to come out? I see others with redfoots that are always active

All tortoises are different. Could there be something that scares them ?
My redfoots are active in the morning when they get food and the lights turn on. Then they walk around and eat. But only an hour later they are sitting in their hides and watch. They do not sleep, but hide and watch. For hours.
You may ask @ZEROPILOT if your torts behave strange. Zeropilot is keeping redfoot tortoises for a long time and know all about them.

AmberD

Ontario
All tortoises are different. Could there be something that scares them ?
My redfoots are active in the morning when they get food and the lights turn on. Then they walk around and eat. But only an hour later they are sitting in their hides and watch. They do not sleep, but hide and watch. For hours.
You may ask @ZEROPILOT if your torts behave strange. Zeropilot is keeping redfoot tortoises for a long time and know all about them.
Mine is the same way. I turn on the light in the morning, he's at the front of his hide looking out. Comes out a few hours later to eat, wander around etc. Then back into the hide to watch. My husband has started to call him a creeper lol because he's always peaking out. They don't like bright lights. What kind of bulbs are you using?

JakeSnake9502

Chicago Illinois, USA
Mine is the same way. I turn on the light in the morning, he's at the front of his hide looking out. Comes out a few hours later to eat, wander around etc. Then back into the hide to watch. My husband has started to call him a creeper lol because he's always peaking out. They don't like bright lights. What kind of bulbs are you using?
I have a uvb bulb I was thinking maybe somehow figure out how to shade it so light gets through in lines if you get what I mean

JaySparks

5 Year Member
London
Would it be easier to just get a dryer species of tortoise?
All tortoises require humidity specially when they're babies. If you're trying to get rid of these tortoises because you're unable to provide the proper habitat then theres no point on getting a different species as they will be also have a learning curve and you'll have to deal with other complications. I suggest you do further research on how the species lives in the wild ultimately what you need to do is try to replicate their habitat as much as possible.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
I replied to your P.M.
There may be something making them uncomfortable.
Either being kept to cold (below 77) or being kept too hot (above 89) or if the lights are too bright. Wrong bulb type. Too strong or wrong bulb placement.
Can you give specifics on how you are housing them? Lighting type and heating.

Edahl

5 Year Member
Midwest
Redfoot tortoise has had a hard year 2 accesses and just finished antibiotics for upper respiratory infection
He has always been a slow mover but Now he's will not move and only eats. When I use a syringe full of apple sauce that is how I gave him his medicine so how do I get him to eat and back to moving I have had him for 7 years he was about 1 year old when he came to be my baby
His name is Aboo he otherwise a good shape
He has a beautiful shell
I just need him to eat
Thank you Amy advice is
Appreciate it thanks

BrianWI

5 Year Member
Wisconsin
I would say give them away if you won't A) separate them, and B) give them a better environment with cover and humidity. Get a goldfish instead.

Sound harsh? It is. But honestly, they deserve to be well taken care of. Then research your next pet better.

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
I got the temperature from kamp kenan's redfoot video. They also eat weeds and stuff while they're outside but I'll add carrots and more weeds to the mix aswell. For the two years they've been together I've never had one problem with them fighting. I bought them as a pair and they've been together forever
Together forever? Reminds me of a song something like this but I will change some of the words:
"Together forever and never to part
Together forever we 2....
And don't you know I would move Heaven and Earth
NOT to be together forever with you!" For sure, one of us is crying.

Aunt Caffy

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Texas
Redfoot tortoise has had a hard year 2 accesses and just finished antibiotics for upper respiratory infection
He has always been a slow mover but Now he's will not move and only eats. When I use a syringe full of apple sauce that is how I gave him his medicine so how do I get him to eat and back to moving I have had him for 7 years he was about 1 year old when he came to be my baby
His name is Aboo he otherwise a good shape
He has a beautiful shell
I just need him to eat
Thank you Amy advice is
Appreciate it thanks
How long has it been since he finished his antibiotics? And, what kind of antibiotics?

Warm carrot baby food soaks might perk him up. When my tort was on antibiotics, I fed her Mazuri kibble every day because it is a favorite of hers and I wanted to make sure she kept eating. If Aboo has a particular favorite, that might be something to try.

Good luck with Aboo!

Edahl

5 Year Member
Midwest
He finished his antibiotics last Thursday, I have been soaking him daily and I
Watched yesterday when I put food in their enclosure and he was sitting in the perfect spot to eat he opened his mouth and wiggled his legs but would not or could not reach out and get any food. My daughter thinks that he is just been babied because I always gave him his medicine mixed with apple sauce, he has always been my baby I am so worried about something happening to him I love him so much .

Aunt Caffy

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Texas
He finished his antibiotics last Thursday, I have been soaking him daily and I
Watched yesterday when I put food in their enclosure and he was sitting in the perfect spot to eat he opened his mouth and wiggled his legs but would not or could not reach out and get any food. My daughter thinks that he is just been babied because I always gave him his medicine mixed with apple sauce, he has always been my baby I am so worried about something happening to him I love him so much .
Try adding some baby food to his soaks. He can absorb some nutrients that way. It sounds like Aboo likes applesauce, so maybe you could add a little of that to his food.

Maitaimommy

Try adding some baby food to his soaks. He can absorb some nutrients that way. It sounds like Aboo likes applesauce, so maybe you could add a little of that to his food.

Great advice for Aboo! Happy Birthday! Hope it's an awesome day for you:)