Help! Trying to buy a baby red footed tortoise

Lisaw

hi all you owners of red footed tortoises. I need your help! I don't yet own a turtle or tortoise but have done my research and my son and I narrowed down to him wanting a baby red footed or yellow tortoise. I don't really want to have it shipped and pay $150 or more. Maybe that's the rate, but thought something local would be better. We live in west Michigan. Willing to drive a bit to pick one up. I posted on Grand Rapids expo page and Kalamazoo page and nothing. Also how big are the babies when they are sold? I only know how big they get. Can anyone help me with this? Where did you guys get yours from and how was your experience? I'm also open to ornate box turtle or leopard tortoise.

Pearly

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Central Texas, Austin area
Welcome from Texas! My babies were 1.5 & 2 inches. The smaller one was way too young to be shipped out and I went through hell and back to get him to start eating and acting like a normal tortoise. Knowing what I know now I think I'd go for older tortoise, cl rescue or from tort foster care. I got our babies for my daughter before I found this forum. Found the breeder on line. He seemed nice... but getting this baby that would have easily been a "failed hatchling" statistic drove a little wedge of doubt in his practice integrity. Anyway, if you do decide on a baby, please do all your research and get all the necessary supplies ready and habitat set up prior to getting your tort. There will be tons of questions you'll likely have even after those basics all done up and running. You are few steps ahead of me. You have found this forum now! How lucky! Enjoy your experience. It's been lots of work & money but also lots of fun. Be sure to post pictures of your new tort whenever you get one

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Welcome to the Forum, Lisa!

Shipping usually isn't that high for baby tortoises...more like around $50. We have several members here who raise redfooted tortoises and sell babies. Look under our breeder section and contact some of them to see what the shipping would be from them to you.

And it's very important that you read this prior to getting any supplies or tortoise:

http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/beginner-mistakes.45180/

JakeDevoe

5 Year Member
I got my babies as year olds and I think that was the best age for you to get a rf and he came from HERPS reptile expo. And I would recommend not getting a leopard tort I love them I thought about it but they are much harder to take good care of and cost much more. A reptile expo is Pobly your best bet. Or right here on the forum you can adopt and buy torts that Need homes on this site!

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Welcome.
Craigslist.
A small adult will be MUCH easier to care for.
Set up your habitat ahead of time ( read the care sheets) and post photos so that we can help you tweak it.

jockma

5 Year Member
Los Angeles County
I agree with @ZEROPILOT it would be MUCH easier for you if you come up with the enclosure design first and have us critique the design before you finalize it and get your tort! That way you won't need to worry about having a tort and an enclosure that isn't working out as it should.

I also recommend getting an older tort, not a baby and not a rescue (ie sickly and/or dying) for beginners. I admit that I was in over my head when I got my rescue and I'm very lucky that he pulled through even with my lack of experience, that said I absolutely do not recommend it for beginners.

Mantissa3

10 Year Member!
San Francisco Bay Area
Agree about the research, habitat, some tools like a handheld IR thermometer, your lighting (UVB, CHE, and radiant heat panel- not just one source of heat for a baby redfoot- some way to keep the tank humid besides keeping the substrate wet all the time (can cause shell rot and long-term damage) and a few plants and a good hide that you can put a piece of long fiber spaghnum moss in that is wetted down when the baby is ready to sleep in the warm hide at night. You will need to verify a temperature gradiant in the habitat so the baby can come in and out of 82F - 92F and all temps in between....

I highly recommend N2Torts if you want a good quality baby- his nursery is top notch and he cares very much about each of the babies he adopts out - you can go to tortoisecove.com for his email address if he doesn't answer you on here. He's likely REALLY busy with his nursery this time of year.