HELP! turtle sleeping all the time, not moving

Status
Not open for further replies.

ShellyGinny29

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
USA
My new turtle Ginny hasn't moved since Tuesday! She's been sleeping and hasn't eaten or drunken anything! I got her on the eighteenth, so she's still really new. I put her outside for a bit today and when I came back to check on her about forty-five minutes later, she hadn't moved a muscle. Does anyone have any suggestions on what to do? I'm worried she's dying! :(

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
RE: HELP!

I am gonna ask a unusual question don't take offense. Are you sure your tortoise is still alive?

Blessed3x

5 Year Member

Might help to let folks know breed? Age? Approx size?
Has it went to the bathroom at all since you got it?
Did you get her from a private individual or store?
Any nasal discharge? More information may be helpful to the experienced folks on the board.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA

As already stated, more info please, would help a lot. Also, like already said. Is she still alive? Hoping all is goi g to be find.

cemmons12

5 Year Member
Greenfield, In.

dmmj said:
I am gonna ask a unusual question don't take offense. Are you sure your tortoise is still alive?

Thats kind of what I am wondering at this point.... :(

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA

where did you get it? I think you have a problem...
this is more then just being scared or new...
did you ever see it eat?

ShellyGinny29

5 Year Member
USA

She has gone to the bathroom, she's a female Eastern Box Turtle that's about three and a half years old, she's moved a little bit, because when I brought her back inside, she was clawing at me with her back foot. She's definitely still alive, but I don't know how long she'll make it if she doesn't eat. I got her from a breeder at Oregon's Reptile Expo on Saturday.

Blessed3x

5 Year Member

Sounds like a lot of stress, from the breeder to the expo to your home.
Hopefully someone on here is experienced in EBT's and can help.
Do you have the breeders business card with a number and email
to call and ask advice? Is it's eyes and nose clear?

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...

Have you done any soakings? What temps are you keeping her at?

ShellyGinny29

5 Year Member
USA

Room temperature. Her eyes are shut and her nose is clear. I have the breeder's business card and now that you mention it, I could email them. Thanks for that tip :) keep the advice coming, if you please.

Blessed3x

5 Year Member

Room Temp as in???? In CA with no ac that can be 85 to 95
in my state it's 69 degrees in my house right now. Do you have a heat lamp? UVB light?
Tort Table? What kind of tort table, aquarium, container do you have it in?
Id say get it warmer, give it a good soak and see what it does.
When you respond back can you please answer the above questions from all of us.
It would sure help people to help you.
Age? Type of housing? Heat? I'd also call the breeder and they will pretty much be asking you
all the same questions we are.
Question for you, and I don't mean this as a put down or to be rude?
Was this an impulse purchase? Another words were you at the show, thought it
was cool and the price was right and before having a proper set up just got it?
Believe me you wouldn't be the first nor will you be the last but many ppl on this forum can
help you change and learn things.
You mentioned it went to the bathroom. Stool? Was it runny or normal? Urine?

ShellyGinny29

5 Year Member
USA

Right now the room temperature is 78 degrees. No heat or UVB lights. She's in an aquarium with repticarpet on the bottom.

It wasn't an impulse purchase, I've had two box turtles before, one is still living.

It was a normal stool, and I'm pretty sure she urinated in her food dish (I just cleaned it out)

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...

So no soaking? Is there any place for her to hide and chill out? I am guessing your so excited about her, you keep looking in at her?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
The turtle needs a light over her habitat, a hiding place to get out of the light, a waterer and a big enough habitat that you can have room temp on one side and hot on the other side.

A turtle that young should be soaked every day until you see it eating, then you can soak two or three times a week.

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
she is too cold....and scared... but call who you got it from, ask what thier set up was and what she ate.. try digging up a worm and see if she shows any interest. You had another post that only one eye was open... now it sounds worse...

jojodesca

5 Year Member
Bay Area

"It wasn't an impulse purchase, I've had two box turtles before, one is still living."

that made me a bit nervous reading that part....I would think you would know how to set up the enclosure then...not to be to harsh but was anybody else thinking that?....:(

Terry Allan Hall

5 Year Member
The Republic O' Tejas
I'd suggest a baby-food soak (put the contents of a jar of baby food in the water) of at least a 1/2 hour...carrot is excellent. Next, as previously suggested, set her up with a basking spot of 95F via a light bulb...she may simply be too cool to be comfortable.

What food(s) are you offering? Live earthworms are generally accepted by a healthy box turtle and should be offered at least once a week...better yet, get rid of the carpet and replace it with 3-5 inched of good clean soil (non-treated potting soil is good) and put a carton of worms, from any bait shop or Walmart, into the enclosure, so they can burrow into the dirt and your boxie can hunt them...boxies like that, plus the boxie can dig herself a hideaway at will, which will lesson her stress-level. Be sure and mist the soil to keep it moist but not overly wet.

Just a few thoughts.

ShellyGinny29

5 Year Member
USA
emysemys said:
The turtle needs a light over her habitat, a hiding place to get out of the light, a waterer and a big enough habitat that you can have room temp on one side and hot on the other side.

A turtle that young should be soaked every day until you see it eating, then you can soak two or three times a week.

I was going to have my dad take me to the pet store today to get a heat lamp and possibly a hideaway. She's in a ten-gallon tank so it'll be hard to have it hot on one side and room temp on the other, but I'll try and figure it out.

jojodesca said:
"It wasn't an impulse purchase, I've had two box turtles before, one is still living."

that made me a bit nervous reading that part....I would think you would know how to set up the enclosure then...not to be to harsh but was anybody else thinking that?....:(

She died during the winter. It was her first year, and I hibernated her. I learned after she died you're not supposed to do that. That's why Ginny is in a tank. My other two box turtles lived outside.

Terry Allan Hall said:
I'd suggest a baby-food soak (put the contents of a jar of baby food in the water) of at least a 1/2 hour...carrot is excellent. Next, as previously suggested, set her up with a basking spot of 95F via a light bulb...she may simply be too cool to be comfortable.

What food(s) are you offering? Live earthworms are generally accepted by a healthy box turtle and should be offered at least once a week...better yet, get rid of the carpet and replace it with 3-5 inched of good clean soil (non-treated potting soil is good) and put a carton of worms, from any bait shop or Walmart, into the enclosure, so they can burrow into the dirt and your boxie can hunt them...boxies like that, plus the boxie can dig herself a hideaway at will, which will lesson her stress-level. Be sure and mist the soil to keep it moist but not overly wet.

Just a few thoughts.

I've asked my brother to find a slug or earthworm when he's outside, but I guess since he hasn't done it I have to do it myself. I've fed her tiny chopped up apples, turtle food, sugar snap pea shells and lettuce leaves. She hasn't eaten any of them so I eventually had to clean them out so they wouldn't rot.

Mky2k

5 Year Member
Central New Jersey
Try feeding her meat, I've noticed her diet you said is mostly fruits and veggies. She may need protein. When my brothers turtle didn't have enough protein, it's back legs stopped working. It's fine now, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.