HELP!!! very sick female indian star

Status
Not open for further replies.

[email protected]

10 Year Member!
I have a female indian star that is about 6 yrs old. I had noticed over the past couple weeks that she has not been eating well and was a little light. She has been drinking fine. I checked on her today and her legs are very thin and she is lethergic. She doesn't even have the strength to walk around. She can barely pull her head or legs in. This seems to have happened overnight because she was looking okay 2 days ago. I took her to a vet that is supposed to know tortoises and he said he has no idea what could be wrong. She doesn't have pneumonia and she is not egg bound. I am scared that she is going to die. The vet gave me cefotaxime to give her injections once daily and he gave a vitamin injection, but he doesn't know anything about these torts. He had never even seen one before. If any one has experienced this or can help in any way PLEASE, PLEASE DO!!

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
USA
It sounds like she might have a protozoan problem, which would put her off eating. It sounds like she hasn't been eating in a least a couple of weeks.

Danny

Redfoot NERD

10 Year Member!
Tennessee
Jess do you have any idea what vitamin injection the Vet gave her? And what is cefotaxime?

In my years of keeping and breeding tortoises I've not known any that "turn" in a matter of a day or 2 unless they have gotten into something we are not aware of.. or have a disease that was 'triggered' by some change in their environment - all of which could bring on the symptoms you have described.

Among the "old" keepers that I know.. only those that have kept Stars have experienced that sudden change - and by then there was nothing that they could do. I wish I had encouraging words.. I am sorry.

I do hope that the medications work!

I [ also ] am perplexed by the multitude of "Vets.(?)" that claim they know nothing and then go ahead and proceed with medication's!

Terry K

Tim/Robin

10 Year Member!
Something that is recommended for any sick tortoise is to increase the temperature of their area slightly, our vet said by 5 degrees or so. Also he recommended keeping that temperature going 24hrs a day.
We hope she responds and turns around. Keep us posted.

[email protected]

10 Year Member!
Terry,

The vet gave her a vitamin A,D & E injection and the cefotaxime is an antibiotic. It is so hard to find a good tortoise vet where I live. She tries to eat, but she just doesn't have the strength. I am force feeding her with a syringe and blending up her foods to hopefully give her some more strength. I am going to try to find a better vet first thing in the morning. Thanks to all for your response. I'll keep you posted.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Here we go again with the Vit.a,d,e injection. On his own admission, this vet doesn't know anything about tortoises, and yet he gives the tortoise a Vit.a injection.

Watch the tortoise carefully and if you see any skin starting to slough off take the tortoise immediately back to the vet and tell them the tortoise has had too much vit.a.

Danny gave you the best advice. More than likely the tortoise has a parasite infestation. Not the parasites that you can see (pin worms, round worms, etc.) but the parasites that you need a microscope to see. The tortoise needs to be treated with Flagyl for these types of parasites.

RF Nerd gave you the second best advice. Raise the heat a bit in your habitat and keep it constant.

Yvonne

Redfoot NERD

10 Year Member!
Tennessee
emysemys said:
Here we go again with the Vit.a,d,e injection. On his own admission, this vet doesn't know anything about tortoises, and yet he gives the tortoise a Vit.a injection.

Watch the tortoise carefully and if you see any skin starting to slough off take the tortoise immediately back to the vet and tell them the tortoise has had too much vit.a.

Danny gave you the best advice. More than likely the tortoise has a parasite infestation. Not the parasites that you can see (pin worms, round worms, etc.) but the parasites that you need a microscope to see. The tortoise needs to be treated with Flagyl for these types of parasites.

RF Nerd gave you the second best advice. Raise the heat a bit in your habitat and keep it constant.

Yvonne

YEP!!! That Vet. is clueless. I didn't want to alarm you about the vitamin A injection.. but Yvonne is 100% on this one.

I'm not saying it's not possible.. and you haven't said actually how long you have had her.. but how did yours contract parasites?

I ask because there is a common "bug" [ among Stars ] known as [ I hope this is the proper spelling ] Mycoplasm that is only detected by blood samples. It is contagious and will stay "dormant" unless the temps go low.. and humidity may have something to do with it too. From what I've heard it can be fatal virtually over-night.

Although it was Tim that said raise the temps.. I have found that from my own personal experience [ and the experience of other long term keepers of "Savannah" tortoises that I know ].. maintaining a temp range between low 80's to 90F is when they are most active and are found 'basking'. Above 90F and my Stars head for their hide. In other words.. 84-90F "THRU-OUT" has proven best for mine. Mine are kept in a room where the "ambient" temps are low-mid 80's with a small 25W 'spot' light that raises the 'basking' area temps less than 10 degrees F. Hot and Cool sides [ 15-20F fluctuation ] for "Savannah" herbivorous is not advised. Mine are found and move around thru-out the enclosure all day long!

NERD

[email protected]

10 Year Member!
Thanks everyone for all your responses. Sadly our little miss passed away yesterday. We are missing her deeply. On a positive note our 2 males, Pip and Moses, are doing well. We also found a great Vet in Bothell today, unfortunately too late for Little Miss. We are going to take our males up to him for a full check up to make sure that they are healthy. They both are looking great and eating well, but better safe than sorry. Thanks again for your support it was appreciated!

Jess and Astra

agiletorts

10 Year Member!
San Jose, CA
Really sorry about your loss. I wish you the best for the check up result of your other males.

Status
Not open for further replies.