HELP! Very watery and swollen eye RT

D3sirable

For the past few days I noticed my RT had one eye (left one) very watery and swollen all the time, please check what the problem is and what I should do

Water/swollen eye (left)
IMG_0321.JPG

This is the normal eye (right) IMG_0322.JPG

D3sirable

I don't know how long it's been like this, I have been busy and my mother's been taking care of it. I just noticed it in the past few days. :(

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
I'm not seeing the same thing you are. It looks fine to me. More than likely, he just scratched it or got a piece of substrate in it or something. You can try flushing the eye with an eye rinse or saline solution, and dab on some eye ointment.

D3sirable

I'm not seeing the same thing you are. It looks fine to me. More than likely, he just scratched it or got a piece of substrate in it or something. You can try flushing the eye with an eye rinse or saline solution, and dab on some eye ointment.
Thanks for your reply Yvonne..

I have almost been looking at my tortoise everyday since I got it, the eye was never like this before.
If you can see the white area around the eye, I never saw them before, it was almost always totally black (like on the right eye), but this time it looks swollen and you can see a big part of the white area of the eye. Sorry if it doesn't make any sense but I'm not sure how to explain :( Im very worried, it was very wet around the eye aswell, I soak it everyday so if there's something stuck in eye it should gone out already :(

lismar79: Yes I use the coil bulbs, I been using them for 4 months now and I will change it ASAP to the tube one. But it never had problems before, this only happened recently.

He also got more inactive, sleeps most of the time, always burrow inside so you can't see any of him when he sleeps. I soak him everyday, he eats alot everyday, just very inactive.

I uploaded more pictures just to be sure, please take a look I'm acctually very worried :( Is there also something else that looks wrong with my tortoise?
IMG_0300.JPG IMG_0301.JPG IMG_0302.JPG IMG_0303.JPG IMG_0304.JPG IMG_0305.JPG IMG_0306.JPG IMG_0307.JPG IMG_0308.JPG IMG_0309.JPG IMG_0310.JPG IMG_0313.JPG IMG_0314.JPG IMG_0316.JPG IMG_0317.JPG IMG_0318.JPG
Thanks alot for your help.

lismar79

5 Year Member
Ohio USA
Use the search feature to look up coil bulb topics on here. This might be your issue. It takes a while for a tort to show signs thatsomething is wrong with them.

tortdad

5 Year Member
NW Houston TX
I agree that the bulb should be switched but I don't think this is the issue. That would cause problems with both eyes. When it's one eye it's typically physical damage to that eye, like a scratch.

D3sirable

I agree that the bulb should be switched but I don't think this is the issue. That would cause problems with both eyes. When it's one eye it's typically physical damage to that eye, like a scratch.
If it's physical damage or scratch, what can I do to fix it? Can it heal or will it damaged forever? :(

D3sirable

I have another question, because my tortoise is digging and sleeps all day long under the soil, it will miss the UV light? Is that dangerous? What should I do?

Everyday I soak it, it comes out to eat, then sleeps all day.

D3sirable

Does anyone else see a difference / something bad with the left eye? I'm really worried and not sure what to do :(