Help (What education do I need to get into a reptile field)

pink059

Location (City and/or State)
florida
What college degree do I have to do be in in order to study tortoises and other reptiles.. I wanna only study reptiles because all I want to do as a career is care for them till they get back on their feet and let them go back into wild and all.. so what kind of schooling do I need in order to do that?? Any advice??

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
A degree in biology as well would work, with lots of zoology courses sprinkled in. Then, get good grades and get into veterinary school where your focus can be on reptiles instead of mammals. @deadheadvet might provide even more info too.

Good luck.

Kapidolo Farms

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
South of Southern California, but not Mexico
Based specifically on what you said, being a vet tech or vet would get you into a rehab someone else runs, or mentoring under a rehabber. College would best be served by seeking a degree in Non-profit management. Probably on-line. There are no for-profit rehab centers that I know of.

You might think in terms of casting a wider net for potential career options, after awhile eating day old food from the grocery store gets old.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
What college degree do I have to do be in in order to study tortoises and other reptiles.. I wanna only study reptiles because all I want to do as a career is care for them till they get back on their feet and let them go back into wild and all.. so what kind of schooling do I need in order to do that?? Any advice??

I would suggest you get your schooling with emphasis on reptiles...then begin trying to intern with Bureau of Land Management and also Fish and Game for where you are....they are the two agencies that have full access to the type of activities you describe...but be aware, you will find great happiness along with equally great sadness on how the politics govern which species and when and where they are listed as important for conservation.