help! what is this spot on rescued turtle?

Location (City and/or State)
minnesota
Long story short- someone found a turtle left behind in a apartment and brought it to me. I'm the tortoise lady, this is my first turtle. I have no idea of its previous care of course and didn't even know what type of turtle it was which I now think it's a western paint? Anyways I am concerned about this spot. What is this? Please don't say it septic! Hope my pic uploads... I've never tried before. It's the red spot towards bottom

IMG_20181009_191147.jpg

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
That is indeed a western painted turtle - Chrysemys picta belli

The picture is pretty blurry - from what I see it looks to be some sort of lesion - like it was a shell rot area that has been cleaned of the rot. could be an injury right at that seam that has opened up. A clear picture would help. But in any case you should treat that with an antifungal cream. Over the counter athelete's foot cream works just fine. But please post a better picture.

minnesota
Thab
That is indeed a western painted turtle - Chrysemys picta belli

The picture is pretty blurry - from what I see it looks to be some sort of lesion - like it was a shell rot area that has been cleaned of the rot. could be an injury right at that seam that has opened up. A clear picture would help. But in any case you should treat that with an antifungal cream. Over the counter athelete's foot cream works just fine. But please post a better picture.

thanks for responding. I hope your right. I'm so worried it's septic or something bad. My phone takes terrible pics, I will try to get better ones tonight after work. The top of his she'll has marks on it too- not sure if maybe they are teeth scratches? I have a bad pic of she'll top on my phone ill upload. Poor guy. Sick how people can just leave them behind. Not sure how long he was left before he was found. He came to me in a bucket so I'm not even sure if he was in a tank when they found him (haven't got a chance to ask yet) they also found an iguana in there. People are just sick.

IMG_20181009_191137.jpg

minnesota
Thab
thanks for responding. I hope your right. I'm so worried it's septic or something bad. My phone takes terrible pics, I will try to get better ones tonight after work. The top of his she'll has marks on it too- not sure if maybe they are teeth scratches? I have a bad pic of she'll top on my phone ill upload. Poor guy. Sick how people can just leave them behind. Not sure how long he was left before he was found. He came to me in a bucket so I'm not even sure if he was in a tank when they found him (haven't got a chance to ask yet) they also found an iguana in there. People are just sick.
He also has a spot on his bottom left on his top that looks a little concerning. Maybe that is she'll rot? Or some type of wound? If I put the athlete cream on him, he will be ok to put in his water after? It won't contaminate water or anything? Sorry for all the questions, this is the first water turtle I've dealt with.

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
@northernpiglet without a clear picture I cannot be sure, but both bottom marks coincide with bite marks on the top. I does look like something bit down on the turtle a few times with the bottom getting jabbed and chipped and the top with longer scratching bite marks. It does not look like shell rot as there is no rot visible, just what looks like a fairly clean wound. Septic would show more spreading at the seams over most of the plastron, not just localized in two defined spots. Please send a better picture, but from what I see it looks like it should heal with not problem.

minnesota
I have some more pictures. Sorry my phone is terrible at pics. I tried getting one to show between head and legs because I think he is skinny. Again kind of hard to tell with my poor picture quality. He was starving and ate a lot today. I bought everything I could find and tried a little of each to see what he went after. Wasn't a fan of the balls or shrimp but ate a lot of the sticks and 2 worms so I'm feeling good about that.

Attachments

• IMG_20181012_163259.jpg
    IMG_20181012_163259.jpg
    878.4 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_20181012_163219.jpg
    IMG_20181012_163219.jpg
    844 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_20181012_163140.jpg
    IMG_20181012_163140.jpg
    970.9 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_20181012_163119.jpg
    IMG_20181012_163119.jpg