Help ! What kind of tortoise do i have?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lindou

5 Year Member
Hello there!
I live in the south of France and two weeks ago I found this tortoise of my driveway. Could anyone tell me what kind of tortoise it is and what's the best way to care for him?
Thank you for your time!

Attachments

• P1050935.JPG
    P1050935.JPG
    4.2 MB · Views: 161

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Welcome to the Forum!

I'm not good at I.D.ing the Mediterranean species of tortoise, so you'll have to wait for someone else to help you with that, however, I wanted to ask if you think the tortoise might be someone's escaped pet? It might be a good idea to make some flyers and tack them up on the utility poles in the neighborhood where the tortoise was found.

LeopardTortLover

5 Year Member
Manchester, UK
^ yep. Somebody could REALLY love that animal and be heart broken its gone missing. Please ask around your neighbourhood because you could be doing someone a massive favour by returning it. They may have had it since it was a baby. I know id like someone to do that for me. But if it isn't somebody's pet then it is a wild animal and in my opinion, it should be returned to the wild and not kept.

Rogue

5 Year Member
Centennial, CO
Looks like an eastern hermann's tortoise to me. Try posting in the hermann's tortoise section and see if you get a more accurate ID.

theelectraco

5 Year Member
I am horrible at IDing Mediterranean torts but definately doesn't look like a Greek to me.

Lindou

5 Year Member
I've asked the neighbours in the area and it doesn't seem to belong to anyone. When I found it, I also thought it was best to release it. So I took it to a wood with a stream, and a small lake. Three days later, I went to go check it'd gone and it hadn't moved from where I left it. So I brought it back home.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA

LeopardTortLover

5 Year Member
Manchester, UK
Re: RE: Help ! What kind of tortoise do i have?

Lindou said:
I've asked the neighbours in the area and it doesn't seem to belong to anyone. When I found it, I also thought it was best to release it. So I took it to a wood with a stream, and a small lake. Three days later, I went to go check it'd gone and it hadn't moved from where I left it. So I brought it back home.

You've done the right thing then :) I've no idea what species it is but good luck!

Lindou

5 Year Member
Thank you all very much for your answers. After looking at the photos, I think he is a boettgeri. I agree with you Emysemys ! Thank you very much !

biochemnerd808

10 Year Member!
Central Arkansas (we moved!)
Beautiful tortoise! I'm no good at IDing, but it sounds like you have an answer. Try sending GBtortoises a message - you'll get an expert ID there. :)

Lindou said:
Thank you all very much for your answers. After looking at the photos, I think he is a boettgeri. I agree with you Emysemys ! Thank you very much !

Status
Not open for further replies.