Help (What to do if there's a power outage)

pink059

Location (City and/or State)
florida
Hurricane season is coming soon and I live in the state of Florida.. my Tortoise will NOT have power for his UVB for when he sleep nor daytime.. will he be okay without it for 1 whole week? And of course I would take him outside during the day with the sunshine since I wouldn't have any power in my house..f9597281b5b000ffadd9e2f369fa5cb4.jpeg

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I'm sorry to say this, but: WOW!!! That's a beautiful picture! It almost looks like ice cream.

So, here's what you do. Go to a sporting goods store or even search online, and buy a product called "hot hands." Look to see how long one packet lasts and buy enough of them to last however long you think you're going to need them. Will you have any kind of heat for yourself in the house? If yes, then bring the tortoise inside and use the Hot Hands.

91bL%2BCy9TdL._SL1500_.jpg

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
They can live inside for months with no UV, as long as they have a heat source and all other news are met. They can also get D3 in their diet if you feed some Mazuri once in a while.

pink059

florida
They can live inside for months with no UV, as long as they have a heat source and all other news are met. They can also get D3 in their diet if you feed some Mazuri once in a while.

And you sure about this without uvb forb1 whole week?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
And you sure about this without uvb forb1 whole week?
Absolutely 100% sure.

We used to have a moderator here named Christina. She lived in Cadillac Michigan and her tortoises lived outside in the warmer summer months and then she'd bring them inside for the cold winters. She never used any indoor UV all fall, winter and into spring and her tortoises were happy and healthy.

I regularly go 3-4 weeks with no outside time and no indoor UV for baby tortoises when we get our occasional winter "cold" spells here. No problem. They store D3 in their bodies, in fat cells if I recall, and it lasts quite a while.

pink059

florida
Absolutely 100% sure.

We used to have a moderator here named Christina. She lived in Cadillac Michigan and her tortoises lived outside in the warmer summer months and then she'd bring them inside for the cold winters. She never used any indoor UV all fall, winter and into spring and her tortoises were happy and healthy.

I regularly go 3-4 weeks with no outside time and no indoor UV for baby tortoises when we get our occasional winter "cold" spells here. No problem. They store D3 in their bodies, in fat cells if I recall, and it lasts quite a while.
D3 as in what??

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
D3 as in what??
Vitamin D3 is what they produce using UVB rays. They need D3 to use the calcium in their diet. No UV means they are not producing the chemical to convert dietary D2 into the D3 they need. This is okay for a while because they store previously made D3.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
D3 as in vitamin D3. It works with the calcium to make strong bones and shell. UVB from the sun is converted by the body to vitamin D3

rjamesbeasley

Southend on sea (England)
I suppose you could use a generator but it isn't very environmentally friendly, costs a lot and from what I've read on this chat, you probably don't need it for light, possibly for heat?

rjamesbeasley

Southend on sea (England)
I suppose you could use a generator but it isn't very environmentally friendly, costs a lot and from what I've read on this chat, you probably don't need it for light, possibly for heat?
I'd break out the glow sticks! Not that they would prove beneficial in any way to a tortoise and the tortoise should not be allowed near them, I just like glow sticks.
Make a bracelet!

algoroth1

5 Year Member
South Florida
Hi Pink. I'm in South Florida. I've raised my m.e.e. from hatchling to 7 yr old 30 pounder outdoors. On Screened porch in open top cage when still tiny. Hurricanes are part of a tropical wave, so after a 'cane it gets hot and humid. You'll be able take hatchlings outside for UV exposure in their cages. Just don't leave them in direct sun. They'll get lots of UV just being outside and it'll be plenty hot. Make sure they're always protected from predators, including those that fly.

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
Your tortoise will be fine for a few days without UVB.

Billna the 2

Smoaks sc
I'm sorry to say this, but: WOW!!! That's a beautiful picture! It almost looks like ice cream.

So, here's what you do. Go to a sporting goods store or even search online, and buy a product called "hot hands." Look to see how long one packet lasts and buy enough of them to last however long you think you're going to need them. Will you have any kind of heat for yourself in the house? If yes, then bring the tortoise inside and use the Hot Hands.

Hehehe[emoji16]

Pastel Tortie

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
North Florida
In Florida, with hurricane-caused power outages, it's usually a problem of being too HOT and not being able to get any relief or cool down.

Although I'd be interested in other members' thoughts regarding the heat index (high temperatures + humidity) and whether that would have any bearing on turtles and tortoises.

nathanlevi

California, North Hollywood, LA

You can also use battery powered things