help, whitefly infection on my sulcata's hibiscus!

Status
Not open for further replies.

imadude1134

5 Year Member
Hey all, back again with another question...

The hibiscus tree in sammys area looks to have come down with a pretty bad whitefly infestation. I have tried the "pelt with water" method, and that clears it up for about a week, but it comes back just as bad. I fear that I will need to take some more drastic steps and try a pesticide. I really hate to use pesticides around Sammy, but I fear it may be my only option...

Sammy is an 8 yr old male, approx 20-25 lbs, living outside fulltime for about 2 yrs in southern California.

Here is a picture of sammys area and the infected hibiscus tree

100MEDIAIMAG0603.jpg

Here is the product I was thinking about using. It is organic and says that it is pet safe...

100MEDIAIMAG0604.jpg

Anyone have any comments about this product before I use it? Or any recommendations on a better one to use?

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
CA
I can't comment on the product, I just use a leaf blower and blow them off.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
Another member did a post about this. It seems earthworm castings are the way to go. There is some enzyme in the castings that the hibiscus uses to repell the whiteflies. You have to spread around a half n around the whole drip line area around the plant and water heavily for a few days to get the good stuff down to the roots. The other member swore by it, and when I googled it, there was lots of info on it. I'd try that before using any chemicals.

Status
Not open for further replies.