Help with a new Russian Tortoise

Pliisken

Hi as stated I have a new russian tortoise. I'm calling him Mr T:tort: Anyways I've had Mr T for a week now and I was wanting some opinions and some advice from you guys.

His enclosure for now is a 55 gallon tank and for substrate I'm using play sand and Cedar mixed 50/50. I've heard the countless debate on using play sand but I was wondering what you guys think?

Second I have a nice big flat rock for Mr T's food so no sand gets mixed in with it. For the life of me Mr T will not eat off of the rock he only eats out of my hand. I've placed him near the rock and he's even watched me put food on it but he will not eat off of it. Is this something that takes time for him to learn?

Third I have some calcium powder that was giving to me from the lady that owned him. Is this something I should continue to use or should I get a cuddle bone?

As the last item is soaking. So far I have soaked Mr T. 3 times this week for a good 20 mins each time. I have yet to see him use the bathroom is this something I should be concerned about?

I'm sure I will have a ton more questions but for now these are my biggest concerns. I thought I had all of this figured out before I got Mr T, but it is a learning experience. So far though I am thrilled as he is very playful and active and he seems happy!

Thanks for taking the time to read and I look forward to all the helpful advice!

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
A Land Far Away...
Hi!

The sand is okay (and a natural part of the soil makeup), BUT I don't think at that high of a percentage that it is safe. I would go 20% or less of the playsand. Next I would never use cedar on any animals. :( Try using coir, or clean soil (no chemicals), or even some orchid bark would work.

No reason to stop using the calcium powder every so often and also get a cuttlebone. They are really cheap and I like having it there if the tortoise ever feels a need for it.

Is he eating and active? If so, I would not worry at this point. He could be eating his own stools. Gross to us, but tortoises love eating them. :rolleyes:

As for the eating off the rock, I think he is just wrapping you around his little foot to get you to hand feed him, so he can be lazy. Unless he has a physical problem, then there should be no reason he can't eat off the rock. He just doesn't want to.

As for the tank size, are you planning to fix him something larger soon?

I should also ask, is this an adult or youngster?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hi, and welcome to the Forum!

Pliisken

Thanks for the welcome guys, so far the information I'm learning on this site is so helpful.

As for the good news I got up this morning and Mr T was over on the rock just chowing down. So maybe yes he is just being lazy and wanted me to feed him lol. As for the substrate he has not had any problems with it yet as far as I can tell but I really now am doubting my previous decision. Their could be chemicals in it and I would never know. So I do believe I am going to switch it up and go with your suggestion.

I am planning on moving him to something bigger, I was thinking a kiddie pool. I have a nice large pool made out of plastic, is this a good idea in your opinion?

I have purchased him a cuddlebone but he hasn't touched it yet. I'm thinking this will be like the food he just has to get used to it first and figure it out.

I do have another question that is burning lol. Do turtles smell? I noticed when I was feeding him earlier by hand it was almost as if he would smell the food and decide if he wanted it or not. Right now he is eating Kale and cabbage and spinach. I tried to give him some greens and it was truely like he would smell of it. He decided he does not like greens and gives you that look of what in the crap is this and then burrows his head.

I would also like to know about sight? It seems Mr T only see's things that are close. Is this normal?

Sorry I'm just a happy turtle owner and have so many questions, thanks for having the patience with me ;)