HELP with baby Greek Tortoise Questions/Concerns

rachmodawg

Location (City and/or State)
Unites States
Hello, this is my 2nd time posting on the forum as I made a few mistakes on my first post and now I can't delete it!! Sorry!! but I have been a member since before I got my first tort (Sgt. Pepper) in October. I have a few questions so I just thought I'd ask them all in one place. This may get lengthy but I need help for my beautiful baby so please read.
  1. The first 2 pictures is the day I got him, which was October 12th. The 2 most recent picture at the bottom are from today (June 19). I was wondering if anyone could give me a guess on how old he is? I am not only curious but cannot properly plan a birthday party without some type of range! :p
  2. I would also love to know what subspecies of Greek tortoise he is. The breeder said he was a "Jordanian Greek, Testudo Graeca sp." After much research on that species, it doest seem to exist. "Jordanian Greek". Does anyone have an idea what subspecies he could be?
  3. Pepper also ONLY eats kale. And ONLY the "Turscan Kale" from Wegmans. I have tried various weeds and plants, and though he likes weeds sometimes I live far North so these weeds are not plenty 10 months of the year. If I don't give him Kale and give him something else, he won't eat! Does anyone have any tips or ideas on what to do about this picky eater?
I refer to Pepper as a "he" simply because I always have. I know he hasn't developed, but would anyone want to take a guess if Pepper is male or female? :) I know it is early but I'm excited about finding out.
Other than these concerns, Pep is an incredible, happy animal. He brings joy to my family and I every day. I just want him to be as happy and healthy as possible.

This forum has taught me so many things and I want to thank you all, because I could not have been able to properly cared for him without you!
And thank you in advance to those of you who respond! :)
- Pep's Mama

Attachments

• IMG_5463.JPG
    IMG_5463.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 87
  • IMG_0007.JPG
    IMG_0007.JPG
    818.3 KB · Views: 82
  • IMG_1096 2.jpg
    IMG_1096 2.jpg
    401.3 KB · Views: 74
  • IMG_0492.JPG
    IMG_0492.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 78
  • IMG_0876.JPG
    IMG_0876.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 82
  • IMG_1487.JPG
    IMG_1487.JPG
    2.8 MB · Views: 80
  • IMG_1526.JPG
    IMG_1526.JPG
    280.9 KB · Views: 86

CarolM

South Africa - Cape Town
Hello, this is my 2nd time posting on the forum as I made a few mistakes on my first post and now I can't delete it!! Sorry!! but I have been a member since before I got my first tort (Sgt. Pepper) in October. I have a few questions so I just thought I'd ask them all in one place. This may get lengthy but I need help for my beautiful baby so please read.
  1. The first 2 pictures is the day I got him, which was October 12th. The 2 most recent picture at the bottom are from today (June 19). I was wondering if anyone could give me a guess on how old he is? I am not only curious but cannot properly plan a birthday party without some type of range! [emoji14]
  2. I would also love to know what subspecies of Greek tortoise he is. The breeder said he was a "Jordanian Greek, Testudo Graeca sp." After much research on that species, it doest seem to exist. "Jordanian Greek". Does anyone have an idea what subspecies he could be?
  3. Pepper also ONLY eats kale. And ONLY the "Turscan Kale" from Wegmans. I have tried various weeds and plants, and though he likes weeds sometimes I live far North so these weeds are not plenty 10 months of the year. If I don't give him Kale and give him something else, he won't eat! Does anyone have any tips or ideas on what to do about this picky eater?
I refer to Pepper as a "he" simply because I always have. I know he hasn't developed, but would anyone want to take a guess if Pepper is male or female? :) I know it is early but I'm excited about finding out.
Other than these concerns, Pep is an incredible, happy animal. He brings joy to my family and I every day. I just want him to be as happy and healthy as possible.

This forum has taught me so many things and I want to thank you all, because I could not have been able to properly cared for him without you!
And thank you in advance to those of you who respond! :)
- Pep's Mama
Hi There.

Pepper is a cutie pie. Congratulations.

Lets start with the eating of kale. Kale as the main part of diet is not good. Diet must consist of variety. You can give it occasionally as part of a varied diet. Now as to how to getting him to eat other plants and weeds which are healthier for him. Take some kale (the kind he likes) chop it up really finely. Then take a few various healthier weeds and chop them up really finely. At first you can put more kale in the mix just so that he can get the taste of it. Mix it all up and put that in his food bowl all the time until he is eating it all. Don't worry if at first he does not want to eat. He is young enough that he will adapt and when he is hungry enough he will eat. Once he is eating it on a regular basis you can slowly start reducing the amount of kale and increasing the amount of other weeds. Variety is key in their diet. Again when he is used to the correct mix you can then start increasing the size of the mix (this means you can start to stop chopping it up into smaller pieces) until you are putting in whole leaves etc for him to break and eat himself.

Then the water bowl I would recommend changing for a bowl which does not have such high sides. For the life of me I cannot think of the name but those plates/saucers which you put under your pot plants will do the trick nicely and sink it into the substrate so he can get in and out easily.

With regards to the rest I will let other more experienced members answer you.

Would you be able to post some pictures of his enclosure and advise his temps and lights being used as well. These will help members to help you make sure that your little baby will have the absolute best care that you can give.

chemprentice

5 Year Member
Southern California (OC)
Pepper looks like a spitting image of my Greek, Spike!

20180113_212320390_iOS.jpg 20180121_223406628_iOS.jpg 20180213_231803520_iOS.jpg 20180404_003801922_iOS.jpg

Where did you get your Greek tortoise from? Ours might be from the same clutch! I got Spike from Tortoise Supply, a supplier in Las Vegas. We received him on October 24, 2017 and were told that he was hatched in mid-August 2017, which would make Spike almost 1 year old this year. He is also an ibera greek tortoise.

rachmodawg

Unites States
Hi There.

Pepper is a cutie pie. Congratulations.

Lets start with the eating of kale. Kale as the main part of diet is not good. Diet must consist of variety. You can give it occasionally as part of a varied diet. Now as to how to getting him to eat other plants and weeds which are healthier for him. Take some kale (the kind he likes) chop it up really finely. Then take a few various healthier weeds and chop them up really finely. At first you can put more kale in the mix just so that he can get the taste of it. Mix it all up and put that in his food bowl all the time until he is eating it all. Don't worry if at first he does not want to eat. He is young enough that he will adapt and when he is hungry enough he will eat. Once he is eating it on a regular basis you can slowly start reducing the amount of kale and increasing the amount of other weeds. Variety is key in their diet. Again when he is used to the correct mix you can then start increasing the size of the mix (this means you can start to stop chopping it up into smaller pieces) until you are putting in whole leaves etc for him to break and eat himself.

Then the water bowl I would recommend changing for a bowl which does not have such high sides. For the life of me I cannot think of the name but those plates/saucers which you put under your pot plants will do the trick nicely and sink it into the substrate so he can get in and out easily.

With regards to the rest I will let other more experienced members answer you.

Would you be able to post some pictures of his enclosure and advise his temps and lights being used as well. These will help members to help you make sure that your little baby will have the absolute best care that you can give.

Hello! I haven't posted in awhile, but I have taken your advice. I have planted an abundance of plants he can eat in his enclosure, as well as mixing various greens within the Kale. He seems to be doing great! He has almost doubled in size since this last post. I switched his tall water bowl to a food dish bowl (which is shallower) and he sometimes lounges in it, which he never does. He has 2 lights, "
UVB Reptile Light Bulb, CONOMOYPET Compact Fluorescent Desert Terrarium Lamp For Reptile Amphibian Calcium Supplement 13 Watts (10.0 for Desert", and a heat lamp, I am sorry I am unable to add pictures at this time! Thank you for you recommendations, he has began to expand his diet and grow immensely!

rachmodawg

Unites States
Pepper looks like a spitting image of my Greek, Spike!

View attachment 247157 View attachment 247158 View attachment 247159 View attachment 247160

Where did you get your Greek tortoise from? Ours might be from the same clutch! I got Spike from Tortoise Supply, a supplier in Las Vegas. We received him on October 24, 2017 and were told that he was hatched in mid-August 2017, which would make Spike almost 1 year old this year. He is also an ibera greek tortoise.

OMG!! I just saw this and freaked out and showed my whole family, who also freaked out!! He is Pepper's twin!! I got him on October 21st from a breeder in Las Vegas, hatched mid-august. They HAVE to be brothers. Please contact me through here, or Pepper has an instagram page @sgt.peppers_lonely_tort . I would love to see how Spike is doing, please contact me so we can keep our babies in touch

CarolM

South Africa - Cape Town
Hello! I haven't posted in awhile, but I have taken your advice. I have planted an abundance of plants he can eat in his enclosure, as well as mixing various greens within the Kale. He seems to be doing great! He has almost doubled in size since this last post. I switched his tall water bowl to a food dish bowl (which is shallower) and he sometimes lounges in it, which he never does. He has 2 lights, "
UVB Reptile Light Bulb, CONOMOYPET Compact Fluorescent Desert Terrarium Lamp For Reptile Amphibian Calcium Supplement 13 Watts (10.0 for Desert", and a heat lamp, I am sorry I am unable to add pictures at this time! Thank you for you recommendations, he has began to expand his diet and grow immensely!
I am so glad to see that he is doing much better and that his diet is expanding. Well done on persevering and getting him to change his diet.