help with building a new red foot tortoise enclose

steve tort tort

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
utah
how big should my new red foot tortoise enclosure be, he will soon out grow his house, and also what should it be made out of right now I have a wood house but it wont keep the humidity that good and is starting to grow mold. the pet store said he is about 2-3 year old, he is 4 and a half inches long, and should I have it be an indoor or an outdoor in closure where I live the humidity is about 30% and there is a cat that lives next door. Sorry if i asked to much questions I don't know that much about tortoise enclosures

steve tort tort

5 Year Member
utah
I forget to say if I build and outdoor enclosure I will probably get a mist king auto mister

Kathy Coles

5 Year Member
North Carolina
Red foots have different personalities. Mine has no interest in digging. I've read that others dig to China. How your tort behaves will help determine if you need to go below the surface with the enclosure. There are lots of pics on this site to give you suggestions. My RF is about 6 inches (She grew 2 inches in 1 year) and her outside space is 10 ft by 30 feet. I used 6 ft high chain link so I could walk in there and put a "lid" on it to keep birds of prey out with bird netting. It was easy with zip ties.

steve tort tort

5 Year Member
utah
Thanks for answering. Do you think mold would grow if I made it out of wood? And if it does grow mold what should i make it out of?