Help with Feeding Indian Star Baby

roby77

5 Year Member
Hello Everyone,

I'm new to the Tortoise scene, I got an Indian Star about three weeks back and I need help with feeding. So far, I have fed him Zucchini, Cucumber, Tomatoes and Coriander leaves.

I don't know if I'm feeding the right things or not. I live in India, so I don't have access to all kinds of edibles that you guys have, or I might, I'll have to check once I get some suggestions.

So, the questions are:
1. What should I feed for a healthy natural diet? (I'm not giving any supplements)
2. How often should I feed? (Currently, he has access to food all the time, somewhere I read that feeding everyday might be dangerous, and I should feed every alternate day, is it true? After reading it I got scared and came for help here)

My Tortoise is still very small, maybe 2 inches, is the diet very different for a baby?

He seems healthy and active, he moves around, eats and sleeps well.

I have attached a pic.

Thanks

http://s24.postimg.org/ngt3sc61h/WP_20130915_002.jpg

Attachments

• WP_20130915_002.jpg
    WP_20130915_002.jpg
    370.1 KB · Views: 177

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
You can offer your star tortoise different types of grass and weeds. Any greens that you can buy in the store for your salad, would probably be ok too. I doubt he'd be too interested in coriander.

Jabuticaba

5 Year Member
Winnipeg, MB
That's a beautiful tort!!

May[TURTLE]
Hermannis: Darwin & Wallace
Aussies: Dax, Vegas, & Cricket

shanu303

5 Year Member
India
you should not feed tomatoes..... not regularly..... as a treat maybe.... and hibiscus leaves and flower are a good staple food.... jasminum sambac (arabian mogra) leaves and flowers, easily available in any plant nursery... carrot greens(leaves) .... and since winter is coming there will be lots of fenugreek(Methi patta) in the market...... turnip greens.... radish greens.....lettuce(chinese gobi) maybe available in super market.....

roby77

5 Year Member
shanu303 said:
you should not feed tomatoes..... not regularly..... as a treat maybe.... and hibiscus leaves and flower are a good staple food.... jasminum sambac (arabian mogra) leaves and flowers, easily available in any plant nursery... carrot greens(leaves) .... and since winter is coming there will be lots of fenugreek(Methi patta) in the market...... turnip greens.... radish greens.....lettuce(chinese gobi) maybe available in super market.....

Should I he have access to food all the time? or Should I keep some specific time for feeding separately?

How often should I feed? and how many times a day?

ben32hayt

5 Year Member
Long Island, New York
My Indian star tortoise loves hibiscus flowers. You could also try feeding your star tortoise prickly pear cactus a.k.a optunia. I only fed my star tortoise tomatoes when when I first bought him and he refused to eat anything but mazuri tortoise diet and tomatoes. You could also try Zoo med grassland tortoise pellets but I suggest you mix it with alfalfa grasses and other foods so your start tortoises is getting the right amount nutrients.
-Ben

shanu303

5 Year Member
India
you should feed twice daily..... there is no specific amount.... its separate for every tortoise.....you have to do trial and then find out how much your tort really eats.... there might be some wastage at the beginning but you would get the right amount later.....

Diya

5 Year Member
shanu303 said:
you should feed twice daily..... there is no specific amount.... its separate for every tortoise.....you have to do trial and then find out how much your tort really eats.... there might be some wastage at the beginning but you would get the right amount later.....

Hi, I feed thrice a day. Is dat ok ? as mine are getting hungry in evening also.

Diya

5 Year Member
Hi Roby,

My torts are same as yours. I have 2 baby star indian tortoise. I too live in India. I would like to know what all you are feeding to your tort and how many times a day ? I feed them thrice a day. Please reply on the same.

roby77 said:
Hello Everyone,

I'm new to the Tortoise scene, I got an Indian Star about three weeks back and I need help with feeding. So far, I have fed him Zucchini, Cucumber, Tomatoes and Coriander leaves.

I don't know if I'm feeding the right things or not. I live in India, so I don't have access to all kinds of edibles that you guys have, or I might, I'll have to check once I get some suggestions.

So, the questions are:
1. What should I feed for a healthy natural diet? (I'm not giving any supplements)
2. How often should I feed? (Currently, he has access to food all the time, somewhere I read that feeding everyday might be dangerous, and I should feed every alternate day, is it true? After reading it I got scared and came for help here)

My Tortoise is still very small, maybe 2 inches, is the diet very different for a baby?

He seems healthy and active, he moves around, eats and sleeps well.

I have attached a pic.

Thanks

http://s24.postimg.org/ngt3sc61h/WP_20130915_002.jpg

Sulcata_Sandy

5 Year Member
Pacific NorthWET
What part of India? I was in Chennai for two months in 1999, and I lived with my dance teachers family. We went to the street market every morning for fresh veggies. Do you have those near you? They can eat almost anything you have native there in moderation.

Diya

5 Year Member
I stay in Ahmedabad, Gujarat.

Thanks for the reply. Please guide me on what food should i give them. I have recently bought my baby tortoise and i love them a lottt. I don't want to go wrong in feeding them. Right now i feed them cucumber, cluster beans, string beans, Field beans, lettuce and cabbage is that ok?? Please guide.

Sulcata_Sandy

5 Year Member
Pacific NorthWET
No more beans! Too much protein.

Feed a variety of lettuce and other leafy greens. Something different every day. Save cucumber for a treat, it has very little nutritional value. Mine only get cucumber after they have has a normal meal.

Baby greens are the best, but avoid spinach, kale, collard on a regular basis.
Use "The Tortoise Table" to double check what you are feeding. They are based in the UK, so some of the plant names may be different.

Namaste

Diya

5 Year Member
Ok.. Thanks, but here i remove beans and give them so is that ok ?

Sulcata_Sandy

5 Year Member
Pacific NorthWET
Yes. Variety is best. A little of everything is ideal
Take pics of your market!

When I was in chennai is was like a stepped back in time 1000 years, but I understand India has grown economically since then.

Diya

5 Year Member
Hey sandy,

Yes India has grown a lott.. :)

And i wanted to ask you that can i feed Coccinia grandis to my torts? also known as ivy gourd and gherkin. They really liked a lot when i gave them.

Please suggest on this.

Sulcata_Sandy said:
Yes. Variety is best. A little of everything is ideal
Take pics of your market!

When I was in chennai is was like a stepped back in time 1000 years, but I understand India has grown economically since then.