Help with finding info regarding abused pet tortoise of disabled boy

lvstorts

10 Year Member!
All,
I'm researching and putting together a presentation for a local group that services disabled kids/adults regarding why a tortoise may be a good pet. I seem to remember, I believe on this forum, a thread about a boy with disabilities and his pet tortoise. The day care giver carved and mutilated the tortoise and while it was at the vet the boy's seizures and problems increased.

The owner pressed charges against the care giver and asked the forum members to write letters to the prosecutor in favor of convicting. If I remember correctly the prosecutor received tons of letters and was duly surprised.

I think this took place in California.

Anyone remember this or am loseing my mind?!
Thanks in advance.

Terese
Northwest Tortoise

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
I don't think it was here on the Forum. It was an autistic boy's sulcata tortoise (a news story), and neighborhood kids stabbed it, etc. The tortoise was rescued, taken to a vet, and then Jeannie Vaughn from Turtle Dreams, kept it while it was recouperating. I'll try to find the story, but let's also ask @jaizei to find it. He's really good at that type of thing.

Last edited:

lvstorts

10 Year Member!
Thank you so much! This is what I was trying to find!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
One of those articles says it was believed the perpetrator was trying to emulate a TV show where a guy living off the wild had captured and eaten a live tortoise.

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
OH, USA
I just read the links... that's terrible, and that guy should get more than 156 days. Bob could have DIED. I can't even stress out how disgusting and terrible this is.
:(:mad: