Help with Housing.

RoyT

Hello Folks,

My son and I are about to get our first tortoise, Donatello (horsefield breed). I have done a lot of research online, in reptile shops and from breeders but keep getting mixed answers in regards to the housing.

Now most say a tortoise table is best, and a few say it’s ok to have them in a Vivarium. (All wood apart from 2 sliding glass doors). What’s best for the tortoise? I was close to buying the vivarium, but I heard that the glass is bad for the tortoise as he can see through it. Is that true and is it better to have them on the table where it’s better ventilated?

Any help and options would much be apprenticed.

Roy

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Kent, South East England
Hello and welcome. How big will this first tortoise be? Are we talking a baby/hatchling or an older animal?

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
Hello, Roy, and a very warm welcome to Tortoise Forum.
The type of set up you begin with will depend on his size and age.
Be careful as many pet shops lie, or don't know the age.
Where are you based?
Have a look at http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/beginner-mistakes.45180/
and http://www.tortoiseforum.org/thread...or-other-herbivorous-tortoise-species.107734/
and http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/russian-tortoise-care-sheet.80698/
for lots of information including about your enclosures.
The last link is for adults and the middle on for babies.

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
I would NOT advice you to go for a vivarium, because (as you mentioned) a tort can see through it and would keep trying to get out: torts do not understand the concept of glass or any TRANSPARENT object for that matter.

Please read the care sheets, which are of great help. Ask any question: experts here are always there with an answer.

And a very warm welcome to the forum.

Lyn W

10 Year Member!
UK
Hi Roy I'm in the UK too. My tort is a leopard and older and much bigger so can't really help with your advice but there will be lots of ideas on the Enclosures threads which I'm sure you've already found.

Pet shop owners are only interested in profit so don't waste money on fancy, unsuitable dishes with steep sides etc when plain old plant saucers sunk to ground level will do. A lot of pet shops use pellets or sawdust as substrate for the torts they are selling, neither of which are suitable so check the caresheets to see which is best for horsefields, not what shops use. The temp/humidity gauges they sell aren't always the best either so shop around for those and don't be persuaded to buy coil type bulbs as these damage eyes.
Anyway welcome to the forum - read, search and ask as many questions as you need - it's best to get your temps, humidity and set up in your enclosure right before your new baby, and there's many experienced folk here who are very happy to help.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Welcome to the Forum, Roy!

RoyT

Thanks folks.

Getting him tomorrow. Gone for table @ 120cm x 90cm x 18cm. Got lights etc. One last question, whats best? Topsoil n sand or?

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
OH, USA
Topsoil is fine.
Sand can cause impactions, stays dry and can cause many health issues down the road :( Don't mix them, either! While Topsoil does have a higher sand content, it should be fine on it's own.
Other good substrates are organic potting soil, coco coir(coco peat), fir bark, 'Repti Bark', and orchid bark :)
Good luck!

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
OK to start, but 120 x 240 would be about the minimum for a horsefield, they are VERY active little creatures who love patrolling their enclosures and climbing and digging. They roam huge territories in the wild.
Make sure the uvb lights are not of the coiled or compact types and no sand.
Make sure any topsoil does not have added herbicides or other chemicals.
Yellow lists some good alternatives above and Cypress mulch is also good.
Best of luck!

RoyT

OK to start, but 120 x 240 would be about the minimum for a horsefield, they are VERY active little creatures who love patrolling their enclosures and climbing and digging. They roam huge territories in the wild.
Make sure the uvb lights are not of the coiled or compact types and no sand.
Make sure any topsoil does not have added herbicides or other chemicals.
Yellow lists some good alternatives above and Cypress mulch is also good.
Best of luck!
I thought this size would be ok for at least 2 years? As the tortoise size is 4cm atm. But thanks for the heads up. The way the table is made i can expand it to double the size i have.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
I thought this size would be ok for at least 2 years? As the tortoise size is 4cm atm. But thanks for the heads up. The way the table is made i can expand it to double the size i have.
When in doubt about enclosure room...Make it too big.;)

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
It's OK to begin, but bigger is always better, if you can expand it, do so.
Some people mix a couple of substrates in layers, but not all of them!
Though I suppose you could if you wanted.
Make sure you have a decent depth, as they love to dig.

Jodie

10 Year Member!
Spokane Valley WA
You can mix substrates or use any of the previous on their own. For a small Russian I would use coco coir by itself. Make it 4-6 inches deep and keep it moist. I dump water right in my enclosure every few days and mix. Them pack it down with your hand. Line your table with plastic, a shower curtain or pond liner to protect the wood.

RoyT

You can mix substrates or use any of the previous on their own. For a small Russian I would use coco coir by itself. Make it 4-6 inches deep and keep it moist. I dump water right in my enclosure every few days and mix. Them pack it down with your hand. Line your table with plastic, a shower curtain or pond liner to protect the wood.
I was going to do top soil and coco coir @ 50/50. Good idea with the liner. ill grab that tomorrow.