help with humidity level.

Status
Not open for further replies.

cyyoung749

5 Year Member
Hey guys, its getting cold out here in new york city. Im really concerned about weather, specially humidity. When it comes to winter time humidity drops to 20-30 or lower. Since my black greek tortoise is a baby and needs higher humidity, Im trying to increase humidity level to at least 40-50. Im not really sure how to increase humidity level. any good ideas to increase humitiy in enclosures? Im a beginner tortoise keeper and i need alot of help from you guys. please help me!
Thank you guys!

ewam

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Southern Ca.
Well you can pour water in the substrate then mix the substrate and do this every few days and spray the top of it every day. If it drys out to quickly then you can pour water in every other day.

I have that same problem in the summer though. It is much easier here to keep up the humidity in the winter and spring.

AnthonyC

5 Year Member
New York
I'm from NY and I'm experiencing those humidity blues too. I try to keep the levels up by dumping at least 2 cups of very warm water over the coco coir/cypress mulch substrate and mash it around. It helps a little bit but it's no miracle worker.

ewam

5 Year Member
Southern Ca.
Oh maybe a humidifier.

They might be a little pricey tough, but they will last for many winters to come.

HipsterTorts

5 Year Member
Southern California
What kind of enclosure is it? What kind of substrate are you using?

For my greeks enclosures I soak their substrate once a week and mix it around. I mist the top layer 3 times a day, everyday.

BaddestMarie

5 Year Member
Bronx,NY
I have the same problem since i live in new york as well. I have coconut fiber in my tank && when its wet/damp in there, i tend to see little tiny grey bugs in the coconut fiber. Is that normal?! What are they?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
You can:
Dump water in the substrate.
Use a bigger shallow water bowl or multiple bowls.
Mist the whole enclosure several times a day.
Add a humidifier to the tank or room.
Use lots of potted plants in and near the enclosure.
Cover as much of the top of the enclosure as you can.
Use a humid hide.

GBtortoises

10 Year Member!
The Catskill Mountains of New York State
Tom pretty much listed all the options above. Adding a humidifier to the room will not only benefit your tortoises but people too. If you don't want to go that route you might want to try a smaller type of humidifier that can be used within the enclosure itself. Your enclosure would also hold the humidity better if it were covered. But if covering it you also have to monitor moisture within the substrate to ensure that you don't get mold problems. The photo below is an example of a small unit humidifier that is available on the market today. I have used one with very good results in Redfoot and Burmese Brown enclosures that are within a room that had a low humidity level. It utilizes a standard water bottle just to give you an idea of the overall size of the unit.

su_1051b_xl.jpg

AnthonyC

5 Year Member
New York
Gary, I like that little humidifier you have pictured, but I was wondering whether or not it effects the temps in your enclosures?

GBtortoises said:
Tom pretty much listed all the options above. Adding a humidifier to the room will not only benefit your tortoises but people too. If you don't want to go that route you might want to try a smaller type of humidifier that can be used within the enclosure itself. Your enclosure would also hold the humidity better if it were covered. But if covering it you also have to monitor moisture within the substrate to ensure that you don't get mold problems. The photo below is an example of a small unit humidifier that is available on the market today. I have used one with very good results in Redfoot and Burmese Brown enclosures that are within a room that had a low humidity level. It utilizes a standard water bottle just to give you an idea of the overall size of the unit.

su_1051b_xl.jpg

GBtortoises

10 Year Member!
The Catskill Mountains of New York State
I haven't experienced any effect on temperature due to the humidifier use. But, that is probably difficult for me to accurately determine since it was used within my tortoise room where the entire room temperature is maintained as well as a medium level of humidity. I used this small humidifier to boost the humidity level within a specific, covered enclosure.

AnthonyC said:
Gary, I like that little humidifier you have pictured, but I was wondering whether or not it effects the temps in your enclosures?

GBtortoises said:

su_1051b_xl.jpg

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
The only thing I would add to Tom or GB's answers is that if you add heat to the mix, you generate more humidity. I do this with waterproof heating ropes in the substrate.

Warm humid air naturally wants to rise, so the more you cover the habitat and trap it, the warmer and more humid it will be. On the other hand, you also increase problems- respiratory issues, mold, mildew, smells, etc.

My habitat is about 75% covered, but the ropes generate humidity 24/7. and it rises past the torts, so this is perfectly OK for me.

SteveP

5 Year Member
Royal Palm Beach, FL
The aquarium I have Flash in is almost completely sealed up so the humidity stays in nice. When it drops I add a little water to the substrate and it comes right up.

Redstrike

10 Year Member!
New York
Madkins007 said:
The only thing I would add to Tom or GB's answers is that if you add heat to the mix, you generate more humidity. I do this with waterproof heating ropes in the substrate.

Warm humid air naturally wants to rise, so the more you cover the habitat and trap it, the warmer and more humid it will be. On the other hand, you also increase problems- respiratory issues, mold, mildew, smells, etc.

My habitat is about 75% covered, but the ropes generate humidity 24/7. and it rises past the torts, so this is perfectly OK for me.

I fashioned my substrate setup after Mark's and it works very well. My levels never dip below 70%, but I will add that most of my enclosure is topped with plexiglass.

cyyoung749

5 Year Member
ewam said:
Well you can pour water in the substrate then mix the substrate and do this every few days and spray the top of it every day. If it drys out to quickly then you can pour water in every other day.

I have that same problem in the summer though. It is much easier here to keep up the humidity in the winter and spring.

Is it safe for my greek? Im afraid that he might get cold

AnthonyC said:
I'm from NY and I'm experiencing those humidity blues too. I try to keep the levels up by dumping at least 2 cups of very warm water over the coco coir/cypress mulch substrate and mash it around. It helps a little bit but it's no miracle worker.

Oh new yorker! umm thank you!

ewam said:
Oh maybe a humidifier.

They might be a little pricey tough, but they will last for many winters to come.

Humidifier seems to be the perfect soultion expect is pricey!

HipsterTorts said:
What kind of enclosure is it? What kind of substrate are you using?

For my greeks enclosures I soak their substrate once a week and mix it around. I mist the top layer 3 times a day, everyday.

I have a aquariaum enclosure and repit bark mulch from zoo med.

GBtortoises said:

su_1051b_xl.jpg

That seems to be good answer thank you

Tom said:
You can:
Dump water in the substrate.
Use a bigger shallow water bowl or multiple bowls.
Mist the whole enclosure several times a day.
Add a humidifier to the tank or room.
Use lots of potted plants in and near the enclosure.
Cover as much of the top of the enclosure as you can.
Use a humid hide.

Thank you for alot of valuable informations

ewam

5 Year Member
Southern Ca.
It would be cold if it is too cold in the
enclosure as long as the air is warm enough, the ground won't be cold.

I'm talking about pouring water in the tank. It might help more if it is warm water too.

Status
Not open for further replies.