Help with Joey’s cage

AlexandraTheGreat

I’ve been hesitating to post here because I’m worried that you guys will criticize me for doing things wrong lol. Joey’s well-being is more important though so I’ve decided to post anyway. I got Joey about a year ago and I’ve tried a few different setups but none have really worked for us. When I had one of those MVB bulbs it was way too dry and he wouldn’t open his eyes or come out and explore much so I switched to a uvb strip bulb and he likes that better but it produces no heat so his cage is too cold. I tried putting a hot humidifier in there with him but even setting it on a timer it stayed too cold and also too wet. I’m not really sure what to do for heating. I heard some of the heat bulbs dry out the shell and do damage are there any that don’t? Also, I was wondering if his cage was the appropriate size for him. I keep him in a 55 gallon wide aquarium and he’s a 1 year old red foot tortoise. Obviously he’s going to need something much bigger in the future but is he okay now or does he need an upgrade? I don’t know how many inches he is but he’s 112 grams if that helps. I can’t figure out how to post pictures but once I do I’ll post pics of his setup.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
UK
I’ve been hesitating to post here because I’m worried that you guys will criticize me for doing things wrong lol. Joey’s well-being is more important though so I’ve decided to post anyway. I got Joey about a year ago and I’ve tried a few different setups but none have really worked for us. When I had one of those MVB bulbs it was way too dry and he wouldn’t open his eyes or come out and explore much so I switched to a uvb strip bulb and he likes that better but it produces no heat so his cage is too cold. I tried putting a hot humidifier in there with him but even setting it on a timer it stayed too cold and also too wet. I’m not really sure what to do for heating. I heard some of the heat bulbs dry out the shell and do damage are there any that don’t? Also, I was wondering if his cage was the appropriate size for him. I keep him in a 55 gallon wide aquarium and he’s a 1 year old red foot tortoise. Obviously he’s going to need something much bigger in the future but is he okay now or does he need an upgrade? I don’t know how many inches he is but he’s 112 grams if that helps. I can’t figure out how to post pictures but once I do I’ll post pics of his setup.
Hi and welcome Alexander and Joey, where are you located?
The only criticism you will get here is constructive criticism, because every single member loves torts and has their best interests at heart.:)
You may be told that there are things you have to change or don't like to hear but please bear in mind that, like you, we want all torts to enjoy good health and safe living conditions.
Just be open to the best up-to -date advice and be prepared to learn from others then your tort should be happy and healthy for many years.
There are lots of redfoot keepers here and there should be a caresheet for them in the species specific section to tell you about diet ,temps and lamps, humidity and substrate.
Also have a look at the Beginners Mistakes thread which will help you avoid repeating the mistakes made by others and the Enclosures thread for ideas.
We all had to start somewhere and have made mistakes but please don't take it personally when someone points you in the right direction.:)

Last edited:

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
All if us that have kept tortoises for a LONG time have done a lot of things wrong.
We're here to help others not make the same mistakes.
So please don't misunderstand our criticism and replies.
A lot of members have been run off by not understanding that we want to help your tortoise primarily. And you, secondarily.
It sounds like you've already made some significant gains.
Use a CHE for heat.

Redfool

5 Year Member
Central Florida
I had my Redfoots for over 25 years before joining this forum and I learned a few things that I have changed. There are other things that have worked for me and my torts for years that I haven’t changed. Don’t be afraid to ask or disclose. Think of the posting advisors as teachers. Some come off kind and careing like grammar school teachers and some come off strong and gruff like college professors with hard info. All have your torts best interest as a priority. Don’t take it personally. You will also find all are consoling with lost, stolen, sick and passed torts and keepers. With the vast collection of brain cells in this forum (Lord know I need help for all the ones I’ve killed) for info and due diligence you should be able to raise a healthy tort. I found researching redfoots native environment was my greatest help. Damp warm forest edge with diffused sunlight equates to 85 degrees, 80% humidity and subdued lighting.

AlexandraTheGreat

I’ll take a look at the link and care sheets thanks! How do you get your subdued lighting? With plants or a dimmer bulb or what? I’m going to order a CHE asap. Besides the bulb, hood, and thermostat what else do I need for it? Also right now I have a long plastic bucket lid on top of his cage to trap humidity would the CHE melt that? Would it melt plexiglass?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
We really aren't as scary as sometimes we might sound/read. Lol
You've gotten some great help already. Follow the advice and things should go great.

samkerns1

5 Year Member
Southwest Georgia
I have a 40-gal enclosure for my hatchling. For a lid, I used thin plywood and cut it to size so it fits on the upper lip of the tank. I sealed the wood with polyurathane to prevent moisture damage. Using wood has been great because you can easily suspend things from it.
I use a ceramic heater on a thermostat to maintain ambient temp. For daytime basking, I use a 60W incandescent bulb to create a 100F hotspot. I tried a 40W, a 100W, and adjusting heighth of suspended bulb to find the right temp.
My tort gets outdoor sunshine several times a week for uvb.
I am able to maintain 90% humidity with no problem with this setup.

I'm new to this forum, too, so I understand how it can be intimidating. I know there's a possibility someone will read this post and point out flaws in my enclosure setup. But I think it's assumed that we aren't doing things incorrectly on purpose (if we are), and the tortoises will likely benefit if we give ourselves a chance to be corrected.
So kudos to you for caring enough about your animals to be honest and risk the onslaught. :)

AlexandraTheGreat

I have a 40-gal enclosure for my hatchling. For a lid, I used thin plywood and cut it to size so it fits on the upper lip of the tank. I sealed the wood with polyurathane to prevent moisture damage. Using wood has been great because you can easily suspend things from it.
I use a ceramic heater on a thermostat to maintain ambient temp. For daytime basking, I use a 60W incandescent bulb to create a 100F hotspot. I tried a 40W, a 100W, and adjusting heighth of suspended bulb to find the right temp.
My tort gets outdoor sunshine several times a week for uvb.
I am able to maintain 90% humidity with no problem with this setup.

I'm new to this forum, too, so I understand how it can be intimidating. I know there's a possibility someone will read this post and point out flaws in my enclosure setup. But I think it's assumed that we aren't doing things incorrectly on purpose (if we are), and the tortoises will likely benefit if we give ourselves a chance to be corrected.
So kudos to you for caring enough about your animals to be honest and risk the onslaught. :)

With the wood lid how do you have the lighting? Do you have a hole cut into the wood or do you have it inside the tank somehow?

samkerns1

5 Year Member
Southwest Georgia
With the wood lid how do you have the lighting? Do you have a hole cut into the wood or do you have it inside the tank somehow?
Lighting is all inside, hanging down from eye-bolts (i think thats what theyre called). Roof is in 2 pieces. Back piece with extra support holds lights, and front piece has knobs for easy moving.20180815_182844.jpeg20180815_182858.jpeg

AlexandraTheGreat

Joey’s CHE is in and set to 82 degrees. What do you guys use to measure the humidity? I used to have one of those 2-in-one humidity/temperature things from walmart but joey knocked it into his water bowl and it broke lol.

TriciaStringer

5 Year Member
Louisiana
Joey’s CHE is in and set to 82 degrees. What do you guys use to measure the humidity? I used to have one of those 2-in-one humidity/temperature things from walmart but joey knocked it into his water bowl and it broke lol.
I use this.

Attachments

• CBCCEC2B-5ACF-403A-8FA7-C9E9259D2D19.png
    CBCCEC2B-5ACF-403A-8FA7-C9E9259D2D19.png
    257.5 KB · Views: 15

Ellen & Toby

Cheshire, UK
No one here will criticise you for making mistakes, we have all been there. And it takes a lot of courage to be honest and admit you need help so be proud of yourself, you are doing the best you can for Joey by asking. I am still learning myself so wont give advice but I hope you take all advice given as meant with kindness and with Joeys best interest at heart. And stick around, it is an amazing forum and I learn new things all the time from reading advice given to others ;)