Help with Kinixys Belliana (Bell´s hinge-back tortoise)

William Lee Kohler

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Eugene, OR
I have 2 long term captive male belliana noguyi. One for about 26 years the other at least 10. Wish I had kept records and bought some girls when I had the chance! I use astroturf substrate(no chance of ingesting substrate), a box for hide place, 2x3 foot UVB lites on timer and full time 250W ceramic heat emitter except when it's over 80 degrees in the house. The heat is in one end so if they go to the other end it is to get cooler as there's no hide place there. Have checked various foods and they regularly eat Romain lettuce, tomato and some canned cat food about twice a week. I put a liquid supplement on the food once or twice a week. You can also put in a cuttlebone. Surprising how mine go for it just like food. They prefer to eat at near dawn so I feed before going to bed. They are omnivorous so some protein is good for them just not a major % of their diet. Using cat food is easier than feeding live food if you prefer. These are savannah tortoises. Dry country with fairly rare rain. I soak mine in warm water on an irregular basis where they can drink and mess in the water BIG TIME! Using wet lettuce and the tomato provides most of the water they need. A regularly damp environment will be bad for their health. Soaking is better. After a bath they will be very active normally as the rains inspire breeding and great amounts of energy expenditure in nature. You are very fortunate to have your little tortoise and from the growth rings and lack of hinge it looks about 4 years old and likely captive hatched and raised.
If it has 5 claws on the front feet it is belliana belliana, if 4 claws then belliana noguyi. MAY be able to determine sex at this age by whether there is a fairly long thick tail or just a little short one. Little one is a girl. I had captive raised girls laying eggs at about 4 years old. Unfortunately could not hatch any of them.

Korall

Sweden
I have 2 long term captive male belliana noguyi. One for about 26 years the other at least 10. Wish I had kept records and bought some girls when I had the chance! I use astroturf substrate(no chance of ingesting substrate), a box for hide place, 2x3 foot UVB lites on timer and full time 250W ceramic heat emitter except when it's over 80 degrees in the house. The heat is in one end so if they go to the other end it is to get cooler as there's no hide place there. Have checked various foods and they regularly eat Romain lettuce, tomato and some canned cat food about twice a week. I put a liquid supplement on the food once or twice a week. You can also put in a cuttlebone. Surprising how mine go for it just like food. They prefer to eat at near dawn so I feed before going to bed. They are omnivorous so some protein is good for them just not a major % of their diet. Using cat food is easier than feeding live food if you prefer. These are savannah tortoises. Dry country with fairly rare rain. I soak mine in warm water on an irregular basis where they can drink and mess in the water BIG TIME! Using wet lettuce and the tomato provides most of the water they need. A regularly damp environment will be bad for their health. Soaking is better. After a bath they will be very active normally as the rains inspire breeding and great amounts of energy expenditure in nature. You are very fortunate to have your little tortoise and from the growth rings and lack of hinge it looks about 4 years old and likely captive hatched and raised.
If it has 5 claws on the front feet it is belliana belliana, if 4 claws then belliana noguyi. MAY be able to determine sex at this age by whether there is a fairly long thick tail or just a little short one. Little one is a girl. I had captive raised girls laying eggs at about 4 years old. Unfortunately could not hatch any of them.

Okay, though I have heard many people saying that about 80% (Although I don't keep mine at that) humidity is good. What humidity do you keep yours at?
I always have a water dish with fresh water for my tort though (And it can get quite dirty :p)

And yes, my tortoise is about 4 years old and captive bred. (Although it's hinge is slightly starting to appear since that picture was taken)

William Lee Kohler

5 Year Member
Eugene, OR
Okay, so i have an bells hingeback tortoise and so far it seems healthy. It has gotten some minor scars but we checked it with a reptile vet and its nothing special.

But i cant find that much on kinixys belliana online or in books and i was just wondering if anybody knew a good care sheet or had some information. Again, its healthy right now but better safe than sorry.

I've never checked. It is whatever the ambient humidity is in my 2nd floor apartment as their enclosure is completely open on top. They really don't like being in water of wading depth and seem very happy once they get out of it. They DO take a drink though. I can say it is dryer in here than outside even in the Summer because in the Winter I get a dry skin condition spending too much time with the place shut up and less time outside. Maybe not African Savannah dry but not especially damp either.

Last edited: