Help with muddy tortoise.

Glock87

Location (City and/or State)
grays
Hello,

I've got a few questions. I have a hermanns tortoise that i keep in a viv inside. its well ventilated i just prefer it in there. The issue im finding is (same with the tortoise table) that the tortoise keeps trying to climb out and up the glass. He is also muddy as he likes to walk in his water and then go for walks across all the dirt. Does anyone have any tips to stop this or things i can try?

Thanks

TaylorTortoise

Abington
Hello,

I've got a few questions. I have a hermanns tortoise that i keep in a viv inside. its well ventilated i just prefer it in there. The issue im finding is (same with the tortoise table) that the tortoise keeps trying to climb out and up the glass. He is also muddy as he likes to walk in his water and then go for walks across all the dirt. Does anyone have any tips to stop this or things i can try?

Thanks
How big is the enclosure? Can we see pictures?

Glock87

grays
thanks for the quick reply. Its about 48 inches long and 14 in depth. I don't have any pictures at the moment as I'm at work.

Krista S

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Saskatchewan
thanks for the quick reply. Its about 48 inches long and 14 in depth. I don't have any pictures at the moment as I'm at work.
It sounds like he needs a larger enclosure. Generally the recommended minimum size enclosure for a Hermann’s is 4ft x 8ft. The other reason we hear of tortoises scratching or or trying to climb the walls is if the owner has let the tort free roam in the house. Once they see the big open world, their enclosure usually won’t suffice in their eyes. I have a Hermann’s as well and it still astonishes me how much wandering around that little guy does in a day.

If you haven’t already seen it, here’s a link to the best, and most up to date care sheet available for your tortoise.

Edit: Sorry, I forgot to mention...in regards to the muddy situation, try using a layer of Reptibark, cypress mulch or fir bark on top and that should resolve that issue.

Maro2Bear

10 Year Member!
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
As far as tortoises being muddy....well, thats what they do. But, what kind of substrate do you use? A good mixture of orchid bark, coco coir and/or shredded cypress mulch - no dirt - will alleviate the issue. A good daily soaking is good too.