Help with my new

Tortoisemom21

Location (City and/or State)
Lake Charles, La
We got I guess they call them a Herman’s tortis and he has not eaten since we brought him home and I went today to get kale, broccol, Cauliflower, parsley, carrots and bell peppers and mixed all together and he has not eaten it yet. Is he still getting acclimated to us or am I doing something wrong?

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Hi and welcome,
How long have you had him and how old is he?
Some of the foods you listed are not suitable for Hermanns. Leafy greens are best and there are plenty of free weeds about now which would be better.
This is the caresheet with the up to date information you need which will help you get all things right

https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/the-best-way-to-raise-any-temperate-species-of-tortoise.183131/

www.thetortoisetable.org.uk will also help you find safe foods. It's based on UK plants but there will be many the US has in common.

If you post pics of his enclosure and the lamps you are using we can see if there's anything affecting his behaviour.

Tortoisemom21

Lake Charles, La
Hi and welcome,
How long have you had him and how old is he?
Some of the foods you listed are not suitable for Hermanns. Leafy greens are best and there are plenty of free weeds about now which would be better.
This is the caresheet with the up to date information you need which will help you get all things right

https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/the-best-way-to-raise-any-temperate-species-of-tortoise.183131/

www.thetortoisetable.org.uk will also help you find safe foods. It's based on UK plants but there will be many the US has in common.

If you post pics of his enclosure and the lamps you are using we can see if there's anything affecting his behaviour.
We just got him and the people from petco are the ones that told me about his food to get. We got him from petsmart and they just told me vegetables and fruit but I read up on them and lettuce was something they told me to stay away from.

Attachments

• 38B4F7D6-6886-449C-97B2-C1AE77D5D011.jpeg
    38B4F7D6-6886-449C-97B2-C1AE77D5D011.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 17

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
When tortoises are moved to a new location they go through relocation stress, and don't eat. But in order to make the tortoise feel safe and not stressed there are some changes you need to make to the way you're caring for him:

There is no way a hard bodied animal can reach in and get any water out of that snake/lizard bowl. A good water bowl would be a clay plant saucer

He needs a UVB light and the UVB can't penetrate through screen

He needs heat

He eats leafy greens and no fruit, and "dark, leafy greens" is NOT lettuce

He would feel safer with some sight barriers, like plants

Your gauges need to be down at tortoise level

I hate to say it, but you can't trust a pet store to give you the correct husbandry information. They are in business to sell things and make a profit.

Tortoisemom21

Lake Charles, La
When tortoises are moved to a new location they go through relocation stress, and don't eat. But in order to make the tortoise feel safe and not stressed there are some changes you need to make to the way you're caring for him:

There is no way a hard bodied animal can reach in and get any water out of that snake/lizard bowl. A good water bowl would be a clay plant saucer

He needs a UVB light and the UVB can't penetrate through screen

He needs heat

He eats leafy greens and no fruit, and "dark, leafy greens" is NOT lettuce

He would feel safer with some sight barriers, like plants

Your gauges need to be down at tortoise level

I hate to say it, but you can't trust a pet store to give you the correct husbandry information. They are in business to sell things and make a profit.

Tortoisemom21

Lake Charles, La
I have a basking lamp and also a uvb lamp that is what is up on the screen and that is what the instructions on the tank showed how to put it like that. I also have a heat mat on the side of the cage.

I agree with the water bowl...I don’t have lettuce I have kale and broccoli, Parsley, parsnip, cauliflower. I have also have read that lettuce is not good for them.

you say plants do you mean live or fake?

this photo here is what the petco person looked up for the foods.

just trying and thank you for your advice.

Attachments

• C2D1C2D7-2720-4453-B3CE-B08118CDA6CD.jpeg
    C2D1C2D7-2720-4453-B3CE-B08118CDA6CD.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 7

Mrs.Jennifer

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Norwich CT
Your best bet is to read the care sheet that was provided in the #2 post. It has an extensive list of foods. The list on your phone has some inappropriate foods in it.