help with new RES turtle - red chard, cooking leaves, and rock wool

cherrysmommy

Location (City and/or State)
Sunnyvale
Hello! I recently adopted a lovely 3-year old red ear slider and I would love to get advice on some questions.

1. The only green leafy vegetable she likes to eat is red chard. I read it is high in oxalic acid. She won't eat other leafy greens. (She love pellets, insects, and bananas, and will take a few bites from aquatic plants. She also loves eating beetroot (the actual red root), but I stopped feeding her that after I realized it was high in oxalic acid). Do the benefits of giving her red chard outweigh the negatives? Also of note, she only likes the red stems, and she'll suck out the center of the stems and leave a shell of fibre behind.
2. Also, do you guys cook the leafy greens or give them raw? I've been giving them raw.
3. I bought her a java fern planted on driftwood, and she tore it up, and devoured a very substantial amount of rock wool. I didn't realize it was rock wool until a week later. She's been doing fine, but does anyone know how toxic rock wool is?

Oh why do you love eating unhealthy things Cherry. :confused:

mark1

5 Year Member
ohio
i believe the rock wool is not toxic at all , i think it's just spun rock and mineral oil .......... i do believe like ceramic wool it is an irritant ......

enchilada

5 Year Member
Newport Beach CA
Chill out , it’s an RES , its stomach can handle everything. The RES in my local park ponds eats breads ,hotdogs and duck poop. They still gets fatter and population exploding every year .