help with russian tortoise?

Status
Not open for further replies.

wessicataylor

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
CA
hi im jessica, and a few months ago i purchased a couple of russian tortoises from the petstore and one one of them has gotten a lot darker since i took him in and has developed a thick layer of what looks like substrate on his neck, but it wont come off. I have them in a large rubbermaid container with 50/50 play sand and coconut coir with a 100w Zoo Med Powersun UV Self-Ballasted Mercury Vapor UVB Lamp. the other tortoise has not had any of these problems, so i was wondering if any one had any ideas of what this is or any advice
heres a picture:
ralphsneck.jpg

coreyc

10 Year Member!
Massachusetts
Welcome to the TFO :) I cant tell from the pic but try a warm soak see if it comes off

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
sadly for me I can't see the picture very well. Have you tried like picking it off to see if it is dirt or something with it's skin. Mine spend a great deal outside and I have never come across this before, and I have had russians now for ten years. If it is possible to post a better picture ( clearer) .

wessicataylor

5 Year Member
CA
I will try the warm water soak, but it does not come off very easily when I try to pick it off
here's a better pic:
ralphshead.jpg

dmmj

10 Year Member!
CA
but it does come off? and if /when it comes off does it bleed?

wessicataylor

5 Year Member
CA
very little will come off and when it does i really have to dig at it, but it does not bleed.

dmmj

10 Year Member!
CA
OK I would say it is just dirt caked on the skin I would soak a lot and gently rub it off, it won't really hurt the tortoise just an inconvenience like matter. Now how it got like that is another matter and I don't really know but I would guess it has been getting wet ( the tortoise) and just collecting dirt.

wessicataylor

5 Year Member
CA
ok, thank you everyone so much! I've never kept tortoises inside and just wanted to be extra careful and make sure I wasn't doing something wrong with the substrate

GeoTerraTestudo

5 Year Member
Broomfield, Colorado
I have never seen that before, but it does sound like caked-on substrate. Perhaps the play sand is the problem? I have never used either real sand or calcium sand, but other tortoise keepers here and elsewhere say that sand can irritate the shell and eyes, and can cause gut impaction if ingested often enough.

I have used coco coir and cypress mulch with success for box turtles, a redfoot tortoise, and now two Russian tortoises. Other members also suggest using topsoil (soil with no perlite or vermiculite in it, both of which can also lead to gut impaction). Perhaps if you change the substrate to one or more of these more favored types, your tortoise will not have this problem anymore.

wessicataylor

5 Year Member
CA
ok so should I stop making a 50/50 sand and coconut fiber substrate and just stick with 100% coconut fiber?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi wessicataylor:

Welcome to the forum!!

May we know your name? I'm in Central California, whereabouts are you in our fair state?

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
wessicataylor said:
ok so should I stop making a 50/50 sand and coconut fiber substrate and just stick with 100% coconut fiber?
I think the coir gets kind of messy when used alone, but you could mix with topsoil or cypress mulch.

wessicataylor

5 Year Member
CA
emysemys said:
Hi wessicataylor:

Welcome to the forum!!

May we know your name? I'm in Central California, whereabouts are you in our fair state?

hi, I'm Jessica and I'm from Southern California

alright thanks for the advice! I'll be sure to change it asap!:)

dmmj

10 Year Member!
CA
GeoTerraTestudo said:
lynnedit said:
wessicataylor said:
I think the coir gets kind of messy when used alone, but you could mix with topsoil or cypress mulch.

Yep, agreed. :)
Ditto, and hello from another So Cal member

Status
Not open for further replies.