HELP WITH UVB LIGHTING!

Status
Not open for further replies.

BetsyTheTort

5 Year Member
ReptiSun Compact Bulb. HELP!

So I just bought a 5.0 Compact Zoo Med ReptiSun UVB/UVA Light. Now I just found out that Compact/Coil can blind tortoises.. So I will be getting a PowerSun ZooMed 100 watt in the next 2 weeks.

Please tell me! Is it safe to use this light for now? Or am I risking my Tortoise's sight?

HELP!

Attachments

• reptisun.jpg
    reptisun.jpg
    12 KB · Views: 50

Thalatte

5 Year Member
RE: ReptiSun Compact Bulb. HELP!

You can use it for now but no prolonged exposure please. He won't go blind in two weeks.

Edna

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Rawlins, Wyoming

PLEASE make sure you follow the manufacturer's directions and burn it in before exposing your tortoise to it. The rays put out during the burning-in time CAN damage your tortoise's eyes. After the burning-in time, the light will be safe to use with your tortoise.

mainey34

5 Year Member
Peoria, Arizona

I would not chance it. I would do without. Go return it and get the correct one. Its better to be safe then sorry...

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA

I agree with Charmaine. I wouldn't use it. If you have a regular 100 w bulb, use that for heat for now until you get the powersun bulb. I've heard where only a couple of days with the coil has caused problems. Better be safe than sorry.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA

If you burn it in as Edna has suggested, then mount it so it is horizontal and not vertical, it should be ok to use on your tortoise. You would probably have to mount it in an aquarium hood in order for it to be horizontal.

BetsyTheTort

5 Year Member
Ok Im getting so confused right now! I've only had my tortoise for a little while and I just got a Zoo Med ReptiSun Compact 5.0 UVB light. WELL I know coil is bad so I got compact, so some people are saying its the same thing as coil and I cant use it and some are saying its safe to use! I AM SO CONFUSED. As of now my tortoise has NO UBV because im SO confused! Now someones telling me I need to burn the compact bulb in, but I dont know how to do that!

Im going to get a power sun bulb in the next 2 weeks but I need a solution in that time. Is the bulb I got safe.. is their anything I can do to not risk her going blind but STILL get her UVB?

PLEASE HELP!!!!!!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
The advice you've been given is sound.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
If you can't figure out how to mount it horizontally, I wouldn't use it.

jaizei

Unknown Member
10 Year Member!
Earth
You burn in the lamp just by using it. During the initial period of use, the output is higher and possibly dangerous. So you place the lamp at a greater height to negate that, or you can burn in where it's not over your animal at all. Mounting vertically should be safe if you use the zoo med clamp fixture specified in the instructions (which Edna linked in the other thread). The reason being that different types of domes (and/or their finishes: polished aluminum, white paint, etc.) reflect the UVB differently. If you are not going (or able) to test the output, then it is probably best to use their dome.

TortoiseWorld

5 Year Member
Lisle Illinois
Betsy, what species of tortoise do you have?
The amount of UV light should be in relation to the species. A tropical tortoise that lives under the canopies of the jungle doesn't get or need as much UV as a desert or grassland species. My thought is that the tropical tortoises eat more foods with D3, for example snails are a tasty food low in calories (about 90 calories per 100 grams of meat), high in protein (12 to 16%), and rich in minerals. Perhaps there is more greens with higher D3 in the jungle too.
Each species of tortoise may have different Vitamin D requirements. The need for Vitamin D depends upon his geographical origin (temperate or tropical). Depending upon the age of the animal, his species, and his diet.

The Animal Care and Education Coordinator at ZooMed instructs us "Too much UVB can cause damage to the tortoises eyes. UVB deteriorates with distance from the bulb so there is no need for such high output at this relatively close range. A T8 10.0 would be ok, but if you stick with the T5’s, I would use a 5.0 to prevent eye damage."

I think even for a desert species it is important to locate the light safely. The problem is if the distance is too far according to http://www.uvguide.co.uk and ZooMed, then the UVB is diminished..
So if it's too close it could be harmful and if it's too far it is useless and a waste of electricity.

My opinion is that diet is even more important for indoor tortoises then artificial UVB light. Greens such as collard, dandelion, and mustard have good calcium, also cuttle bone and supplements like TNT at http://www.carolinapetsupply.com/ca...&id=10&zenid=c1b5ce2a587df6346d6b4f75bb2b6c2b

UVA full spectrum is also important, reptile Vision needs it.
Humans see three colors - red, green, and blue. Reptiles see these colors as well, but they can also see UVA wavelength light between 320 and 400 nm. This allows them to see colors and patterns in ways that humans can't.

Seeing UVA light allows them to recognize other reptiles of their same species and detect movement. It also stimulates appetite by making food more appealing. The presence of UVA light promotes proper foraging, feeding, digestion, activity levels, social behavior, reproduction, and basking.

Using artificial lights that have been designed for humans or lights that do not provide full spectrum light deprives reptiles of UVA light and causes serious behavioral, physiological, and health issues. Lack of UVA light impairs their ability to interact with their environment and other animals within it, causing unnecessary stress and affecting their overall well-being.

I hope my post helps

BetsyTheTort

5 Year Member
Yes thank you all, I will be going tommorrow to get a PowerSun bulb, so I dont have to worry about the coil bulbs.. thank you all though!

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
Anyone who has the wrong bulb and has to wait to receive a Powersun MVB or Tube fluorescent, something preferable, can just use a regular house bulb (100w or so) for warmth and light. They will do fine w/o UVB for a couple of weeks.

It is too bad that pet stores hand out the wrong info, lots of keepers have been in your shoes scrambling for the best lighting!

ForeignLuxuries

5 Year Member
You guys got me freaking out lol, I'm
Posting a photo please let me know if my spiral power sun is positioned properly so it won't blind me sulcata.

And should I be turning it off @ nights?

Attachments

• image-2138980574.png
    image-2138980574.png
    886.5 KB · Views: 90

theelectraco

5 Year Member
ForeignLuxuries said:
You guys got me freaking out lol, I'm
Posting a photo please let me know if my spiral power sun is positioned properly so it won't blind me sulcata.

And should I be turning it off @ nights?

If it spirals, its not a powersun. Powersuns looks like big basking bulbs. And yes the UVB should be off at night.

Can u upload s pic of ur actual bulb? It if it is a coil, it needs to be mounted sideways/horizontal if youre going to continue to use it, which I personally wouldnt.

ForeignLuxuries

5 Year Member
theelectraco said:
If it spirals, its not a powersun. Powersuns looks like big basking bulbs. And yes the UVB should be off at night.

Can u upload s pic of ur actual bulb? It if it is a coil, it needs to be mounted sideways/horizontal if youre going to continue to use it, which I personally wouldnt.

I use the powersun for my redfoots but they tend to burn out quickly. Maybe it's the way my house Is wired but it's gets expensive having to keep changing them. Should I just get the fluorescent t5s from the pet shop.

theelectraco

5 Year Member
So what exactly were the spiral bulbs you mentioned? Ive never used a powersun, so im not sure on the bulbs lifespan but I would assume around a year, how often are they burning out? I use the ReptiSun 5.0 for my Redfoot and haven't had any issues, if you do switch to a tube uvb you will of course need to add.a.head source since they do not provide heat like powersuns.

Thalatte

5 Year Member
Yes powersunz need to be changed once a year. The spiral bulbs are the compact fluorescents that are spiral shaped.

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Kingman, Arizona
ForeignLuxuries said:
I use the powersun for my redfoots but they tend to burn out quickly. Maybe it's the way my house Is wired but it's gets expensive having to keep changing them. Should I just get the fluorescent t5s from the pet shop.

I use Powersun MVB exclusively for all my reptiles. The ticket for long life on them is that they be mounted in a “straight down" orientation. I have mine on a 12 hr. day night cycle. These lights provide a centralized basking spot with higher temps for promotion of food digestion as well as uv absorption. These lights add heat to the overall enclosure as well, thus limiting the time my CHE is on during the day. During the night cycle of the enclosures, I have a CHE on a thermostat to maintain the temps I want for maintaining a healthy animal.

Status
Not open for further replies.