Help! Yellow or Red?

Status
Not open for further replies.

gargonshepard

5 Year Member
I'm about to take the plunge and buy a tortoise and I can't decide between a Yellow or Red foot. Here is my thinking.

Yellow foot:pROs: I like the overall appearance of the Yellows slightly better. I like that they generally get bigger.
Cons: They are more delicate. They are less personable then Red foots

Red Foot: More personable and more hardy.

The biggest hang up is personality. If the Red foots are more personable and the Yellows are fragile and dont interact with me I'm getting a Red Foot.

This is information I've gleaned on-line and I have no idea if it is correct. My preference is the Yellow Foot I don't want to be disappointed. Please any information you could give me about your personal experience between the two would help.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
A Land Far Away...
Are you getting them as hatchlings? I think personality is not so much a species thing, but how they were raised plus the individual's personality. Thus a hatchling can usually be raised to be more personable, more evening things out.

I myself had a male yellow that was friendly and outgoing. Bonner was used as the main tortoise in all the talks I use to give. So he got lots of time with strangers and never had problems with stress or shyness. I can't fairly compare him to my redfoots/cherryheads, as I quit doing talks and programs. In my own backyard I have a couple of reds/cherry that are friendly, but not sure they are up to Bonner's level.

My advise to all folks is follow your heart. If you are thinking you want a yellow and get a red/cherry instead your never going to be totally happy in my humble opinion.

I think the delicate part can be less these days, especially with you in here learning and asking questions. You know what they need and can work to make that sort of world for the choosen one.

gargonshepard

5 Year Member
CB hatchling. I have narrowed it down to a few websites that sell them. I dont want to buy an adult because I don't want a wild caught animal. I see what you are saying my wife told me the same thing about following my heart and get the one I want most, not settling. I just want to make the right decision.

Does anyone know of a reputable website for the purchase?

Rover15

5 Year Member
ontario canada
I have a Yellow foot who is almost a year old will come out from hiding for food and. Is really active when the humdity is high 70% witch is hard to get at times. I also fell in love with there look and that they get bigger. Thatbeing said do you have the room for a full grown yellow foot? My guy is in a 3ft by 3ft and is only 4" scl less then a year old.

Good luck either way you good take pictures and always share XD

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
gargonshepard said:
Does anyone know of a reputable website for the purchase?

You might ask Kelly (Tortadise) if he has any for sale.

Status
Not open for further replies.