HELP!!! (yellow spot on skin)

Location (City and/or State)
AZ
Hi everyone I’m new her on Tortoiseforum! I’m in need of some help. I’m a new owner of a 1 month old Sulcata and I’ve noticed an issue. He seems to have a small yellow spot on the side of his neck. I’ve read things from other people and there’s a possibility it could be a disease?if any of you have experience with this or any information please let me know! 67EC73CB-C85B-4A67-B8EE-03CAEE98CEFB.jpegFAC059D3-A282-4D2A-A092-C26044A32CCE.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I bought babies from and AZ breeder that had lesions like that. The lesions are some odd bacteria, but they were a secondary problem. The main problem was cryptospridia. Crypto in torts is untreatable and incurable. It is highly contagious and will infect other tortoise anywhere nearby. Symptoms include lethargy, lack of appetite, and eating the substrate or other inedible things. Crypto is also difficult to diagnose and sometimes requires necropsy.

There is no way anyone can do a definitive diagnosis from a couple of pics on the internet, but I share this because you might have this same problem. Do you have any other tortoises? Anyone you know or live near have any? Take proper precautions. Exercise strict biosecurity until you have a definitive diagnosis. Don't know where in AZ you are, but look for Dr. Jarchow near Phoenix or Dr. Funk near Tucson. Your inexpensive locally bred sulcata, just got really expensive...

On an unrelated note, that water bowl is not suitable for tortoises. Sink a terra cotta saucer into the substrate instead.

Give this a read:

AZ
I bought babies from and AZ breeder that had lesions like that. The lesions are some odd bacteria, but they were a secondary problem. The main problem was cryptospridia. Crypto in torts is untreatable and incurable. It is highly contagious and will infect other tortoise anywhere nearby. Symptoms include lethargy, lack of appetite, and eating the substrate or other inedible things. Crypto is also difficult to diagnose and sometimes requires necropsy.

There is no way anyone can do a definitive diagnosis from a couple of pics on the internet, but I share this because you might have this same problem. Do you have any other tortoises? Anyone you know or live near have any? Take proper precautions. Exercise strict biosecurity until you have a definitive diagnosis. Don't know where in AZ you are, but look for Dr. Jarchow near Phoenix or Dr. Funk near Tucson. Your inexpensive locally bred sulcata, just got really expensive...

On an unrelated note, that water bowl is not suitable for tortoises. Sink a terra cotta saucer into the substrate instead.

Give this a read:
Thank you for replying so quickly. I have decided that I will go back to the store I bought him from and see if they can give me some options. I’ve had him less then a week, and when I got him he already had the spot on him. If they can’t do anything for me then a vet will be the next step.

And I would love to pick your brain about the water bowl. I have a terra cotta saucer but he was tipping over in it all the time. I’d wake up in the mornings and he’d be stuck upside down for hours while I was asleep. I even tried shaving a bit of the ramp so it wouldn’t be so steep for him, which is why I switched to the dish I have now. What are your recommendations? I hate to see him stuck upside down when I’m not around to flip him over.

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Low desert 50 mi SE of Palm Springs CA
The terra cotta saucer Tom is referring to does not have a ramp. It's a regular clay like saucer that sits under plant pots to catch water when it runs through.

You dig a depression in the substrate and sit the saucer so that the lip of the saucer is just barely higher than ground level. It makes it much easier to get in and out

jeannettep

Texas
Start out with a smaller terra cotta dish, they come in a lot of sizes. Measure how deep it is and Tom or someone could let you know if it's ok. Thanks Tom for the info sheet! I like to get a refresher course!

jeannettep

Texas

Give this a read:
Tom, is there any way to prevent this?

AZ
The terra cotta saucer Tom is referring to does not have a ramp. It's a regular clay like saucer that sits under plant pots to catch water when it runs through.

You dig a depression in the substrate and sit the saucer so that the lip of the saucer is just barely higher than ground level. It makes it much easier to get in and out
So here’s the saucer I have now. The entire purpose of getting it was because it was shallow and has a ramp. Now that I know it’s not suitable I’ll go ahead and change it back over to the one the store gave me upon purchase of him.

the one they gave me is super deep and even with the ramp on it my tortoise tips over constantly tips over it in. The store said he’ll “grow into it” and flipping over isn’t a big issue with theres little guys. Ive been hesitant to trust some of of this so any second opinions would be great.

and to Toms question, no he is not around any other tortoises anymore. He was in an enclosure of 3 when I bought him and the 4th had just been bought a few days before.

Attachments

• 4545153F-10E4-40F9-A9BD-1475FCE0C703.jpeg
    4545153F-10E4-40F9-A9BD-1475FCE0C703.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 56

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Low desert 50 mi SE of Palm Springs CA
Whoever this guy is who told you flipping is no big deal needs to keep his mouth shut!! And that bowl belongs somewhere else, too! Please don't ever listen to him again (and you can tell him what to do with his bowl!)

As you already know, bowls like that are hazards. And if a little one flips and lands in the water, not only is he having his lungs crushed, but when exhaustion sets in he'll drown.

All you need is this, a plain clay flower pot saucer, big enough he can get in. Push it into the substrate until it's even with the surface.
20200626_140447.jpg

AZ
Whoever this guy is who told you flipping is no big deal needs to keep his mouth shut!! And that bowl belongs somewhere else, too! Please don't ever listen to him again (and you can tell him what to do with his bowl!)

As you already know, bowls like that are hazards. And if a little one flips and lands in the water, not only is he having his lungs crushed, but when exhaustion sets in he'll drown.

All you need is this, a plain clay flower pot saucer, big enough he can get in. Push it into the substrate until it's even with the surface.
View attachment 299092
I’m so glad I listened to my intuition and took my little guy flipping over seriously! I’ll definitely shop around for a clay pot ASAP!

Also, I am going back to the the shop tomorrow to discuss options for the yellow spot on his neck. I’ll post an update once I receive news.

I don’t believe that selling sick tortoises is okay unless your up for the challenge. I’m a fist time tortoise owner and Ive had him for less then a week! I want him to be happy and healthily, but I think the pet shop also needs to take responsibility. He’s also put the other tortoises in his enclosure there at risk.

Gijoux

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Should you need to ever buy another Tort, consider buying directly from a Breeder on Tortoise Forum. You’ll get a lot more than just a healthy Tortoise.

Chefdenoel10

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
New Jersey
So here’s the saucer I have now. The entire purpose of getting it was because it was shallow and has a ramp. Now that I know it’s not suitable I’ll go ahead and change it back over to the one the store gave me upon purchase of him.

the one they gave me is super deep and even with the ramp on it my tortoise tips over constantly tips over it in. The store said he’ll “grow into it” and flipping over isn’t a big issue with theres little guys. Ive been hesitant to trust some of of this so any second opinions would be great.

and to Toms question, no he is not around any other tortoises anymore. He was in an enclosure of 3 when I bought him and the 4th had just been bought a few days before.

Miya too deep!!!
He is just a baby!!!
It is the equivalent of you putting a human baby in a half full bath tub and walking away.... please change it to a SAUCER like Tom said.... they are cheap!! ?

AZ
They seen u coming and shut the lights off. Lol
So I actually called the pet store today since I didn’t have time to make it to the store. They said I could bring him back to the store and they would replace him with another tortoise from a different store. The replacement will be free of charge. I asked if they were from the same litter or ever had contact with the any of their other litters and they said no. Because the other tortoises could be infected as well, they have decided to give me one from a completely separate litter at another store.

I appreciate them taking full responsibility, and I will post another update once the exchange is complete. If there’s anything you guys think I should look for before taking the new tort home please let me know! I will also be asking the pet store to give me new litter to make sure there is no cross contamination.

Chubbs the tegu

Ma
So I actually called the pet store today since I didn’t have time to make it to the store. They said I could bring him back to the store and they would replace him with another tortoise from a different store. The replacement will be free of charge. I asked if they were from the same litter or ever had contact with the any of their other litters and they said no. Because the other tortoises could be infected as well, they have decided to give me one from a completely separate litter at another store.

I appreciate them taking full responsibility, and I will post another update once the exchange is complete. If there’s anything you guys think I should look for before taking the new tort home please let me know! I will also be asking the pet store to give me new litter to make sure there is no cross contamination.
I would get your money back and get urself a well started baby from one of the breeders on here... also id get rid of any of the supplies u have in the enclosure the sick tort was in to be safe. Good luck! And sorry u had to go thru this experience.

Lokkje

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Phoenix

Give this a read:
Dr. Funk is outside Phoenix in Mesa/Gilbert and Jarchow is in Tucson. Dr. Funk is at the Avian and Exotic Animal Clinic on Lindsay. Excellent place to go for your tortoise if you try to keep him.