Help!! (Trouble Breathing?)

SJTort

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
I just got home from a work trip and my little guy looks bad! Right? Open mouth, labored breathing. Eyes look flat. I’ve had that same person watch him previously, but I would love a confirmation of my suspicion that he is sick please.
View attachment IMG_8553.MOV

G-stars

5 Year Member
Southern California
Sure looks like that tortoise is having trouble breathing. I would take him to a vet asap.

SJTort

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Sure looks like that tortoise is having trouble breathing. I would take him to a vet asap.
Thank you! I’m waiting for him to be seen at the specialty emergency vet. I’m quite sure he has a respiratory infection. Fingers crossed that they can get him back in shape soon!

Sarah2020

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
London, UK
Keep us posted as this may help others. Hope it can be fixed. I assume where it stayed has correct heat, light, diet etc....

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Any idea how long he's been like that?

SJTort

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Update: I got him home at about 11:30 last night. The vet I happened to find was incredibly knowledgeable and helpful. She imports some type of super special antibiotics from Germany that’s meant for this exact type of situation. (I will find out the name today.) She was quite confident that he has a respiratory infection. She gave him a shot, and by the time I put him back in his enclosure an hour later, he had pooped and wasn’t stretching his neck nearly as far. His eyes were a little bit brighter and he seemed more alert.
This video was right before I handed him over to the vet. Turn the sound way up and listen for the tiny squealing noise he was making when breathing out. That’s the more telltale breathing of a respiratory infection. I will update later today. Thank you for your help!