Help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

uilani104

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Hawaii
Rye(Sulcata) has been very sluggish and not his normal self the past 2 days. Today I noticed his eyes were a bit swollen with liquid coming out. I've also noticed bubbles coming out of his nose. I've never had a sick tortoise, so I have no idea what to do. I'm currently soaking him and he is outside today since it's super hot and sunny. He's not as active as he once was...he got a little energy earlier but it wore down. Advice needed ASAP please.

Torty Mom

5 Year Member
Bakersfield, California
Melody, I don't keep Sulcata's but the people that can help will need to know a few things:

What are the temps that you are keeping them at?
Is there a cool side and a hot basking spot?
What are you feeding them?
What is your substrate?

If you can post a picture that would help them identify anything else!

uilani104

5 Year Member
Hawaii
Torty Mom said:
Melody, I don't keep Sulcata's but the people that can help will need to know a few things:

What are the temps that you are keeping them at?
Is there a cool side and a hot basking spot?
What are you feeding them?
What is your substrate?

If you can post a picture that would help them identify anything else!

I keep them in temps above 80. I was really misinformed from the person I bought them from. =( I asked if they needed a UVB light and he said no. I asked what were they kept in and if they needed any source of light. Being that I live in Hawaii of course I figured our normal humidity and heat would help my guys but obviously I was very naive to believe so. They eat lettuce and they graze the yard. My substrate is orchid bark. They are kept outside in a closed are majority of the day. Please help! I'll buy whatever is needed to make sure he's healthy!

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
sounds like you need to up the temps, good warm soaks with vitamins or baby food mixed in. You can do this outdoors, in a secure area, since sun is best, but you can hang a heat lamp as well.
How big are your guys?

toxodon1

5 Year Member
I would use a UVA UVB light and rase the temps in the area you keep him or her.

M

Maggie Cummings

It sounds like he has a respiratory infection, if that's the case he should see a Vet and get antibiotics. In the mean time raise his temp to 90 or so with a hot basking spot of 100. Don't have a cool end, don't let him get cooler than 80 degrees. I would soak him in baby food until he starts eating again. Mix one jar of baby food (I use carrots) to some warm water in a small container. Make the water reaches up to his bridge, (where the top shell meets the bottom shell) keep a light over it all so the water stays warm and soak him in it for about an hour...everyday until he starts eating again

Do you have a coil bulb above him?

onarock

5 Year Member
Hawaii
uilani104 said:
onarock said:
uilani, your not on maui are you?

I will do that! What kind of baby food? Big Island.

OK. I'll ask the one and only really good exotic vet here on Maui if he can recommend a vet on the Big Island if you need one. What side do you live on. has it been voggy there?

uilani104

5 Year Member
Hawaii
onarock said:
uilani104 said:
onarock said:
uilani, your not on maui are you?

I will do that! What kind of baby food? Big Island.

OK. I'll ask the one and only really good exotic vet here on Maui if he can recommend a vet on the Big Island if you need one. What side do you live on. has it been voggy there?

Sweet! I live in Ka'u. Hilo would be closer. I'm so used to the vog I don't notice it anymore. If you could get a recommendation that would be awesome!

maggie3fan said:
It sounds like he has a respiratory infection, if that's the case he should see a Vet and get antibiotics. In the mean time raise his temp to 90 or so with a hot basking spot of 100. Don't have a cool end, don't let him get cooler than 80 degrees. I would soak him in baby food until he starts eating again. Mix one jar of baby food (I use carrots) to some warm water in a small container. Make the water reaches up to his bridge, (where the top shell meets the bottom shell) keep a light over it all so the water stays warm and soak him in it for about an hour...everyday until he starts eating again

Do you have a coil bulb above him?

Thank you I will do that tomorrow! Thank you! No coil bulb. I honestly have no idea what to buy

Torty Mom

5 Year Member
Bakersfield, California
Good morning Melody, just checking to see how Rye is doing today! If you need more help, just post your questions!! We are here if you need us!! We are all pulling for him!!! Hang in there!!

M

Maggie Cummings

Soaking him in strained carrots won't cure him of whatever is wrong, it just gets nutrients in him until he gets better. I use carrots because they have the most Vit A. How is he today?

onarock

5 Year Member
Hawaii
uilani, you want to call Dr.Mina 808-959-2273. Open Sunday. Hes the only tortiose vet in Hilo

uilani104

5 Year Member
Hawaii
Just an update on Rye...

He has a respiratory infection and his little tiny nose was plugged. =( He’s currently on meds and thankfully he was eating the entire time he was sick. Other then his infection Dr. said he is healthy and should be back to causing trouble in no time. Thank you soo much for all your advice!!

Chrysa_Tortoise 059.jpgChrysa_Tortoise 034.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.