Helpful info for new star owners in India - from an amateur*

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
No you don't. If you don't give him lettuce, he can't eat it, can he? he won't starve himself. Stop giving him lettuce and he will eventually eat the food you offer him.

Rahul15

OK now tell mee....
If I keep him hungry or let's say keep him away from lettuce
How many days a baby tortoise can stay from food
And one more thg I haven't seen him drinking water is that normal....not even during Bathing

Nik

Guyz please help me y my star tortoise pair don't like to bask in sun.. Wen I leav them in sun they move back to shade and sleeps..

RickyGoldsmith

5 Year Member
Uranus
Guyz please help me y my star tortoise pair don't like to bask in sun.. Wen I leav them in sun they move back to shade and sleeps..

Just give them ample space. My torts bask in the sun as and when they feel. Your best bet is to keep a hiding spot, with shed, in the sunny area. This way, they can use both the states.

They are reptiles. Eventually they will want to bask.

Nik

Jasminum Sambac aka arabian jasmine is safe to feed moderately, i feed the leaves as well as the flowers occasionally. This variety isn't toxic
Hi one of my star tortoise has not pooped yet he just urinate is that ok or there is a problem is it natural

shanu303

5 Year Member
India
Hi one of my star tortoise has not pooped yet he just urinate is that ok or there is a problem is it natural
if your star is showing normal behaviour and is eating properly, then you should not be concerned with the poop, they might be defecating and you might not be able to notice as sometimes they eat their own feces/poop or you might not be able to notice that. and tortoises can go without pooping for days, their metabolism is slow, and if they aren't getting ample heat then metabolism becomes slower yet. Just check the temperature, sunlight, eating habit, etc.... if it is not lethargic and is active and eating then it is fine.

shanu303

5 Year Member
India
Thnx...bro my tortoise is 8cm wat wud be his age
at that size it is hard to discern the age, i think anywhere between 1-3 years, but i maybe wrong.

Nik

N they are running away from sunlight so I put their food in sun they eat it well

shanu303

5 Year Member
India
Bt bro they are not basking
tortoises are capable of deciding when to bask and when not to, they would know it because they depend on basking for thermoregulation to maintain homeostasis as they are cold blooded... you just need to provide them area for basking with ample shade and let them do the rest.... minimal interaction and interference is appreciated in tortoise keeping.

Ruchi

Nashik
IMG_20170809_001801.jpg IMG_20170809_001740.jpg IMG_20170807_231445.jpg Can someone please tell me which breed of tortoise this is?

Ruchi

Nashik
Can I use a mixture of Coco peat and soil as substrate for the above tortoise?

Last edited:
It appears that Jasminum sambac (from Olive family) is the non-poisonous variety. This is used for tea & food fragrances and other edible ways. I updated the spreadsheet with the species name. Can the moderator or admin replace the document above with this one? .
Bro your PDF is good but their has be changed made in it . If you wanna get into tortoise good u can join my tortoise group pls do join https://chat.whatsapp.com/Jq20lEiREl42EmQA3uHjrG